Need a rod and crank real bad.

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an OTASCO 5hp motor that I blew the rod in so I need a rod and crankshaft. It has a Tecumseh 5hp 2 stroke air cooled power head. From what I can tell by pictures here it's an Eska bottom end and a lot of people put their brand names on these little motors so there should be a lot of parts for it. I have tried to contact Tecumseh about it with no luck. I checked out Certified Parts Corp but I didn't see what I needed. I'll take anything from parts to whole motors even if they are locked or blown up. The numbers on the motor tag are T-643-05A and 6192676. All the lawn mower shops around here look at me like I'm crazy { which I am,,,but don't tell the VA,,,LOL }. I know there are a lot of different brand names for this motor { Sears, OTASCO, Monkey wards,and many others}. So there has to be parts out there some where. I don't care if they are new or used. Somebody please help me get my adopted step sons fishing motor back together before he wants my Evinrude....ANIMAL P.S. My e-mail is terryboyd@mail.com if anyone has any info. Some times I have trouble finding things I've posted.:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need a rod and crank real bad.

Go to the Antique Outboard Motor Club's website, aomci.org, and place a free want ad on their Webvertize page for an Eska powerhead.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Seems like a lot of effort for a motor with a poor performance and reliability record.
If you want to just have a working Otasco I would try to find a working Eska and put your Otasco hood and trim on it.

CATransplant

Admiral

Seems like a lot of effort for a motor with a poor performance and reliability record.
If you want to just have a working Otasco I would try to find a working Eska and put your Otasco hood and trim on it.

I agree completely. One Eska is about equivalent to another one. You can find a Sears or an Eska 5 hp on eBay or Craig's List for about $100. Buy one that runs and put the Otasco cowling on it. There's no difference.

Or, buy one with a broken lower unit but a good powerhead and swap that way. It's all the same outboard.

CATransplant

Admiral

certifiedpartscorp.com will have parts for you, but you have to call their phone number. They don't have parts lists on their web page.

However, I can tell you that the cost of the part you need will exceed the value of your outboard by a factor of 4 or 5. Follow the advice in earlier posts, and you'll have a running Otasco.

ANIMAL

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, thank you everyone for the replys. Now I have 6 motors to play with but 4 have been in the weather for at least the last 15yrs on the ground. So they are in pretty bad shape, 3 with locked up power heads, and 1 I don't know yet. But they were all free and if I didn't grab them they would wind up in the scrap heap. ok here they are, a game fisher 7.5hp { real bad shape }, 1 Scott Atwater 7.5hp thats at least 98% there, but locked, 1 that looks alot like the Scott but different. The complete one has coil springs in the transom mount and the other one doesn't. Its only about 75% or less complete, and last a looks like a 1960's something evinrude maybe 35hp, haven't got the cowl off yet so I don't know what size or if locked up. Sorry no numbers yet but it's dark outside. And I won't have any pictures till WallMart.com gets China to send me my new camera { you know,,,picture box. }. So it's time to back up and regroup and focuse On the '78 evinrude 35hp. It will be the cheapest and easyest to get running. And when the otasco gets moved backto the front it will go back with used parts except for gaskets { there are some beter bought than made }. There is also a 60's something razorback setting there on the ground that still has all the foctory hard ware still on it along with the factory speedo. Even had Semplex steering on it { if I spelled it right }. Its mine also if I want it. If I don't do something with it all it will do is set there and rot. To me the new stuff is just high priced junk ond the old stuff is high priced treasure. If I needed a mini van { god forbid } I'd find me an Olds Vista Cruser { its got some steal in it and a real motor under the hood }. Oh well later gaters,,,ANIMAL