Advise for a marine mechanic

mpro1

Cadet
Hello,

I was looking for advise on re-entering the field of marine mechanics, possibly as an independent mobile mechanic.....I have experience in the repair and maintenance of outboards, stern-drives, and some diesels.... I have some vocational training in Outboards/Stern-drives ect. I have good understanding of modern computer controlled engine systems and diagnostics...

How does an independent get factory certifications, training ect?

What about good sources for test equipment manuals ect??

i am specifically interested in Yamaha...Honda... Evinrude/Johnson

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Advise for a marine mechanic

You should think about coming to work for someone here in Charleston. You wouldn't need any factory certifications or specific training. You wouldn't even need any special diagnostic skills. In fact, you're probably overqualified now. If you can identify the various subsystems and name their components, all you would be required to do is identify the most likely subsystem at fault, and replace the components of that subsystem based on their cost (in descending order) until the problem no longer exists.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

You should think about coming to work for someone here in Charleston. You wouldn't need any factory certifications or specific training. You wouldn't even need any special diagnostic skills. In fact, you're probably overqualified now. If you can identify the various subsystems and name their components, all you would be required to do is identify the most likely subsystem at fault, and replace the components of that subsystem based on their cost (in descending order) until the problem no longer exists.

an19.gif

MikDee

Banned

LMAO Reel Poor! Are you incinerating, we're all grease monkeys :D

catchbats

Seaman

Most classes I've ever heard of as far as Cert. classes just take cash and the ability to pass the test at the end if it. Thats usually it. Unless it's ISO, which is the International Standards Orginization. That is usually company based training and there's specific things they have to do, to make their emploees ISO certified.

chaparral442

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure where you live or if you are willing to move but the big dollars are in commercial marine mechanics-- I work for the largest medium and high speed diesel marine repair company-- if you are interested in a career send me a PM and I will put you in touch with our recruiter

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see plenty of guys that make decent money on outboard and stern drive stuff. As far as factory certifications, well, I assume (that word again!) that a school such as MMI in FLorida can provide that. However, the dealers pretty much make it that you have to work for THEM to get that certifiacation.

I do marine diesel on large boats, mainly yachts and some commercial, basically what's in our area. The money is good, I have good benefits. Started out pushing a broom and delivering parts in 1985 down in Ft.Lauderdale for an MAN dealer, and I'm in Savannah today.

I worked briefly for a MerCruiser dealer in '91. I wanted to learn something different, the guy wooed me in with promises of big bucks working flat rate....HA! Such a screwing I have never had to put it bluntly. FIrst off, later on I found he was just using the warranty flat rate guide for his rates, that does not apply to corroded junk we got in. It was a small operation with a trailer for and office/parts room, and a portable shed type thing for a shop. If it rained you were out there with tarps and ponchos trying to do a tuneup or something. Oh, yeah and it did not matter if you had to take half the boat apart to get at something, if the book said you got half an hour to do a certain proceedure that's all you got paid. Needless to say I did not stay there long.

Now I am not trying to discourage you here, I know a couple folks that do the sort of thing you are speaking of, a van load of tools and such. Just be careful- if you have not done business with someone before and it's going to be more that a couple hundred bucks, make them sign a work authorization for and give you a credit card UP FRONT. It has kept our problems to a minimum in that aspect. It's a bit different with mobile work- you do not have the equipment in your shop to enforce the no pay or as the boat yards call it "no cash no splash" policy.

Now are you interested in a carrer in marine diesel, working on Caterpillar, Cummins, MAN etc? PM me!

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Rent a building and start your own Boat Repair Shop..

mpro1

Cadet

Thank you responding....i finally have some time to read the posts.....

I have a lot of interest in marine diesel mechanics and have worked mostly preventive maintenance on Detroit 8v92 and some isuzu.......i am located on the north shore of long island NY......

Thank you

Matt

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Preventative maintanence on an 8V92? Did that also mean changing the oil diapers under the engine to catch all the leaks those things develop?:p

penetrater

Recruit

I was just looking into doing this same kind of operation , going mobile that is.

A few of the things I thought of was just doing a select amount of services ,
Winterizing, water pumps ,carburetor rebuilding , those sort of things and
Trailer lights and bearings. Keeping it simple and those things that need to be done
On a regular basis , and the fact you don?t need a lot of equipment and space.

A few of the problems we thought of was the fact that without a ? shop ? most customers
I think , would look at you as a fly by night , and not really trust you until you could prove otherwise , and that could take a while, I think that could be resolved with
Renting a small office , or shop area to work out of, nothing to big just a place other than
Your house , you look more professional that way.

I also think that putting some good money into the van paint job , your advertising would pay off in the long run, a 2? x 3? stick on sign doesn?t draw a lot of attention.

One of the good things about where I live is that a city lake is only a few miles away,
Lots of wet and dry slips but no marina or repair shop around the lake. Don?t know how busy I would be year round, but early spring and getting ready for winter , I think it would do well.

Just some ideas, interested in other opinions .

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Get one of those fancy box trailers with the tool boxes, motor racks, etc. right inside. Dress it up as you would the van and there will be no doubt about your level of professionalism...
- Scott

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do marine electronics; fish finders, radios, amplifiers etc. I am 100% mobile with no shop. I've worked various stationary jobs in the mobile electronics industry for others and all total I have about 14 years experience. Anyways, the thing's that I have run across being mobile.

1) Some manufacturers will NOT wholesale to you if you don't have a building/showroom. This is mostly to prevent the general public from buying direct from the manufacturer. For example: Alpine and JL audio won't sell direct to me for the simple fact that I do not have a show room. Garmin and Lowrance expect you to buy $4000.00 worth of gear and keep it stocked in a warehouse. These brands are just protecting their dealerships and it is understandable. Although I feel that a Business License/Tax Id/Federal ID/Insurance should equally qualify you if you are willing to meet the other requirements.

2) Credit -- Open accounts take credit and if you're a new company just starting up it's a royal pain to get an open account setup. Be prepared to pay for parts BEFORE you get paid for them.

3) Insurance -- Take some time and talk with your insurance person tell them exactly what you plan on doing and let them insure you for it. Remember if you're going to be driving someones boat around or pulling it on or off a trailer then YOU have possession of the craft and it requires different insurance. If you happen to have an accident or something awful happens at least you're covered and won't lose everything. Make sure they include tool insurance! I just had $350.00 worth of hand tools walk off :(

4) References -- Pretty business cards, flyers & webpages are good but a list of real references & word of mouth goes so much farther.

5) People watching over your shoulder -- Since you have no shop for them to drop their boat off 90% of the time the customer will be there looking over your shoulder watching everything you do.

I really enjoy being mobile, I can work my own schedule and take time to enjoy my family, also coming to the boat puts you on a more personal level and you get to know your clients much better than if you just worked at a shop. Be patient, as getting a reputation and getting the connections for parts and things takes a very long time.

penetrater

Recruit

PONDTUNES Thanks for some great information , and insight , and a really cool name!

Hear in Oklahoma city the going shop rate was $65 -$75 an hour, the bigger shops this week went to $100 an hour . ( these are boat repair shops )

I would think a mobile technician should be able to charge at least the highest going rate in that area, but starting out I would say $65 -$75 around this area would be competitive ,
Whats your thoughts on pricing ?

The name I was wanting to use was HotShot mobile marine service the only problem there is a big boat repair shop around hear their name is HoleShot , I think ill use HotShot
And see how it goes, their not mobile and I used to be in the oil field , for those that don?t know , when a rig goes down and you need a part ASAP you have someone HotShot the part to you .

Also does anyone know where to buy a lower unit U shaped clamp / vice ? the one that Kerr marine sells is the only place I have been able to find, and its not adjustable , I want to set one up to fit into the receiver hitch .

If I get time this afternoon im going to start a new thread on this subject , going mobile service repair . This thread was started under marine mechanic , just wanting to get one that was just on the topic of mobile service providers .

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

I normally price my services per job, which means lots of free estimates. Many times people will call and tell me the type of boat and I can give them an estimate on time/cost without looking at it.

I've developed a parts budget to cover expendable things like tape, solder, heat shrink, wire ties and such.

For the most part I can set rates based on the task ie speaker replacement is one price, while cutting a new hole or enlarging an existing one is another rate.

One thing I have found is I can be highly competitive with places like Freeman's Car stereo and still make enough to make my business worthwhile because I am mobile. I don't have a big fancy show room to pay for and I don't have a warehouse of items to keep stocked. I don't overcharge for my services just because I'm mobile either. Most of the time I find that they have already checked with other shops anyways so I've found it's best to bid your jobs fair.

I buy what I need before I go to the job, and when I run across a good deal I'll put together some package setups and sell them for a good price. Most people I deal with don't have the ability to just yank their boat out and take it somewhere so the fact that I am mobile and come to them really entices them. If a stereo shop has to send a tech and tools out it drives their price up that much more.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

You have to remember that you will dealing with people that are a good percentage "not so bright"...and will have ya in court at the drop of a fishing pole for their mistake, that they will blame on you.... get a lawyer involved before a biz license.
Dealing with people lately is something I care not to do anymore. Rather work for someone else in the back boatyard myself, and let them be the boss with the headache.
We get a lot here (mobile) posting on Craigslist, and some made a simple mistake, and then they get flamed bad..word spreads...