Looking for Saltwater fishfinder input...

Mickyfinn

Seaman
Hey there,

Been combing the posts and seem to have gotten a few good leads but I thought I'd throw out my specifics and see what people think. All my fishing is saltwater in mostly shallow water (5' to 30', I flyfish only, can't get down deep).
I have a credit with West that I can use to purchase a decent unit (long story, but they are generously allowing me to return a Garmin unit that isn't working right and that I haven't been too thrilled with to begin with, so I'm committed to replacing the unit there). The replacements they are showing me are the Raymarine DS500x and the Lowrance X515C. I've read a lot of good things, and some bad things about the Lowrance units here, but not much about the Rays.

Beyond finding fish, I would say another key factor would be holding bottom under way. I know that xducer mounting has a lot to do with that, but is one better than another givin power/cone angles?

Any thoughts?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Looking for Saltwater fishfinder input...

My personal choice would be a Furuno 620 but given the choice of those two units I'd have to go for the Ray. The Ray is a digital unit that has a great display and good target separation.

The ability to hold bottom or mark fish for that matter is a function of your transducer. In the depth of water your looking at power isn’t an issue and there isn't that wide of selection of transducers to really make difference. Lowrance markets what is supposedly a wide angle transducer but in reality it’s the same old transducer rated to a different set of specifications so beware.

Get the Ray and hook up with Airmar to find the transducer that’s best for your situation. If you can go with a thru hull or shot thru transducer installation you’ll be much happier in the long run.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looking for Saltwater fishfinder input...

Can't offer any advice on the head units you're looking at but as stated in the previous post Airmar makes the transducers for most if not all the units you are thinking about. They have a pretty good website http://www.airmar.com and their technical support is very good at answering the type of questions your asking.