Tohatsu Service Center Availability

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see on the forum that Tohatsu makes all Mercury's 30hp and below. (Thank you Tohatsu Guru). I thought I had a very well kept older Merc motor from a family member, but it turned out that it had corrosion in the lower unit which was too bad to put too much money into it to fix such an old motor.

So I'm seriously in the market for a 10HP and below now. I like the Tohatsu price but am concerned about the availability of Tohatsu repair service. I have an authorized center somewhat close to me, but all others are 50-60 or more whereas Mercury service shops are plentiful!

My question is, since Tohatsu makes all the Mercurys at the size I'm looking for, are Mercury service centers also fully equipped to do Tohatsu repairs? And are the internals of the Tohatsu truly the same as the internals on a comparable Mercury? If it matters, I'm looking at tiller handle manual start long shaft.

I'm really weighing the service center concern here. Once the warranty is out, I want to be able to have service available from more than just one place close (and at a normal cost), and if the Merc centers can actually work on Tohatsu just fine (yet don't advertise that), and the parts are the same, that would be GREAT NEWS!

Thanks!

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tohatsu Service Center Availability

Just call the Merc service center tomorrow and ask them.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

While they share the same parts, the warranty network is different. IE A Mercury dealer cannot perform warranty service on a Tohatsu. Also, on that size engine, Mercury uses that crappy shift in the throttle handle gimmick, where Tohatsu has the dependable front mounted shift lever.

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you. Under warranty, I'm not AS concerned, but I do wish there were more than just one place near me.

But, after warranty it sounds like all repairs are fair game and the Merc centers can do anything necessary.

Thank you for the info.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

What's your zip code? Sometimes there are dealers that don't show up using the locater.

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting.

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Elvin, thank you for checking for me.

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While they share the same parts, the warranty network is different. IE A Mercury dealer cannot perform warranty service on a Tohatsu. Also, on that size engine, Mercury uses that crappy shift in the throttle handle gimmick, where Tohatsu has the dependable front mounted shift lever.

Well I can't say I wasn't warned. I got a really good deal on a brand new Mercury Mariner 9.9. Runs great with throttle only while hooked up to the flusher ear muffs. Eight days after I buy it, I hit the lake, start it up, let it idle a moment, then go to put it in gear and it won't go. Gotta reach around over the transom and lift the lever to allow it to go into gear. And take the hood off and lift the flywheel lock so it can start in gear because it won't go out of gear.

So, it's headed to the shop. I'm not a happy camper! This was broken from the start, but I wasn't able to know until I tried it the first time. Piece of crap shifter is right!!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That throttle shift is very nice to use when it works....That's W H E N it works:)

GregE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That throttle shift is very nice to use when it works....That's W H E N it works:)

Ok, I have to take back my badmouthing the Merc. When I got home yesterday storms kept me from flushing the motor, but I did that today. And while tinkering, thinking there HAD to be something I was missing, I took the hood off and checked out just where that shifter shaft is being raised from inside the engine compartment. Once I saw what it was, and that it looked to be moving but just very tight, I shifted it harder and voila, it shifts in and out of gear just fine, so I have to take back my "crap" comments. Not knowing what it was supposed to do exactly, it was my hesitation to possibly break something from the start by turning a throttle that I thought wasn't going to turn without my breaking it.

Now that I see how it works, I agree that yes it's nice, but for reliabililty long term, I definitely think the Tohatsu shifter independent of the throttle sounds to be a more sound solution and of better quality (and replacement if something does break). I'm not sure why Merc chose this route. It's nice, but the quality (in my perception) seems not especially great with it.

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I have to take back my badmouthing the Merc. When I got home yesterday storms kept me from flushing the motor, but I did that today. And while tinkering, thinking there HAD to be something I was missing, I took the hood off and checked out just where that shifter shaft is being raised from inside the engine compartment. Once I saw what it was, and that it looked to be moving but just very tight, I shifted it harder and voila, it shifts in and out of gear just fine, so I have to take back my "crap" comments. Not knowing what it was supposed to do exactly, it was my hesitation to possibly break something from the start by turning a throttle that I thought wasn't going to turn without my breaking it.

Now that I see how it works, I agree that yes it's nice, but for reliabililty long term, I definitely think the Tohatsu shifter independent of the throttle sounds to be a more sound solution and of better quality (and replacement if something does break). I'm not sure why Merc chose this route. It's nice, but the quality (in my perception) seems not especially great with it.

That style throttle is ussually love it or hate it. I know some walleye guys that love it because they can drop a worm on a dime in current and keep it there. I tend to be more like you - something like that has to eventually wear out.