prop spins when started in neutral?

uniquesound

Cadet
i have had a fuel restriction problem and i just got that fixed! Now when i crank the engine it fires right up with the muffs on it when i says fires right up i mean the motor barely makes one rotation and its running, but my prop is spinning and the boats in neutral now the boat will only crank in neutral if you try to crank it in forward it wont start but when i crank it in neutral the props spinning? The engine is a 93 225 oceanrunner counter rotation is this an easy fix? Also on here i found a thread about their engine bumping in forward mine does that to at idle speed it bumps like your barely hitting a little stump but doesn't do it above idle speed don't know if that helps or not!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop spins when started in neutral?

Control cable might be out of adjustment. OR, it might just be bearing drag and nothing to worry about.

Your "bumping" is probably a lean sneeze. Caused by one or more cylinders not getting enough fuel. OR it just isn't warmed up.

The other stump jump feeling that you read about is the clutch dog in the lower unit. That happens at higher speeds, boat in the water, not at idle on muffs.

uniquesound

Cadet

how can i tell the difference between bearing drag and the cable being out of adjustment?

angus63

Captain

CAREFULLY use a length of 2 x 4 wood and apply some pressure to the hub of the prop. If the prop stops easily, it's bearing drag. If not, might be partially engaged. DO NOT USE YOUR FOOT OR ANY OTHER VALUED BODY PART!!!!!!!!
Also, if you run it in a barrel of water and it stops or slows considerably just from the water resistance, it's probably just bearing drag.
Good luck and be very careful playing with moving prop

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

With the motor NOT running, spin the prop. If it spins freely, you're fine...
- Scott

uniquesound

Cadet

with shifter in neutral and motor not running the prop spins freely by hand. My next question is what is a spun bearing and how do i fix it and what are the repercussions of not fixing it right away? Oh the motor is a 93 johnson oceanrunner counter rotation

F_R

Supreme Mariner

"spun bearing"? I assume you are talking about the same subject here--the prop turning. Think about how the gears work in there. There are two gears, forward and reverse, spinning in opposite directions any time the motor is running. The prop shaft extends through both of those gears, with bearings to eliminate friction. The shaft will tend to rotate along with whichever bearing has the most drag or friction, even though it is very slight. Actually, the reverse gear usually has the better bearing, so the tendency is to go along with the forward gear.

Check your gear oil and change it regularly. If the oil is full and clean, no repairs are necessary. It ain't broke, don't fix it.