(gps)will windshield cause problems?

no1shep

Cadet
i have a garmin gps w/internal antenna.(wish i had bought a unit w/external ant.,but too late now) i have limited space to mount it on my dash(gimble mount) i know the windshield frame will block signal.will the windshield cause alot of blockage? i can mount the unit approx,4" away from windshield.there will be clear sky view port and starboard and straight up.any help is appreciated,thanks.
shep

tommays

Admiral
Re: (gps)will windshield cause problems?

I do not have a problem even with full canvas up i get a WASS bird with it on the dash

Tommays

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glass, canvas, most other thin, non metallic materials will not substantially reduce GPS receive signal strength. You may notice that cloth, when it gets soaking wet, may start to attenuate the signals.

PhilDx

Cadet

I have my gps down under the helm console, the signal makes it through fiberlass, windshield and a bunch of wires/gauges.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never had any problems with mine under a bimini top.

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Civilan L1 GPS is 1575Mhz. Going through canvis or glass will reduce your signal strength, but not enough to cause a failure or degrade your reading under normal conditions. Most modern units have ample gain to handle adverse conditions like this. Bottom line, if it works, use it like that.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree with everything said. If you do have any problems it will be picking up the WAAS birds that are in high earth orbits over the equator. Your do not say where you are but the farther away from the equator the lower on the horizon the WAAS birds will be. Since these birds were realigned last year I think most everyone in the USA should be able to pick up at least one.

The Normal GPS birds in low earth orbit are easy to pick up and you only need 3 for a 2D position. To get Elevation or 3D then you need 4 birds.

Glass and canvas will not degrade the signal enough to make a difference. Window frame or your body will block the signal in that direction. Most units if you want will let you add a External antenna but at a crazy price.

ECHO 1

Seaman Apprentice

I use mine on the dash of my truck no problem. I have turned it on in the house and got aquired signal.

no1shep

Cadet

thanks to all you seafarers for the response. i appreciate the help you have given me with my many questions.
shep
2003 2052,w/4.3mpi
snow hill,nc.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have more of a problem using GPS in the woods than you will having it mounted under the windshield.