New guy!

kaos2tru

Cadet
Hey guys i'm new to here, and new to boating. I just wanted a quick question i have a evinrude 50273c can anyone tell me what year it is and is it 2 or 4 stroke

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New guy!

serial number would be more helpful.i put your numbers into the brp site and came up with nothing.

kaos2tru

Cadet

ok i'll get the serial number when i go home at lunch. What is the brp site?

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok take you numbers off the motor,go to brp-evinrude.(bombardier recreational products).find the area for engine diagrams and the follow the instructions.once you get there you can do a model search for your engine .how many h.p. is the motor?

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

dont know why i cant get it to come up .get all the numbers off the tag on the transom bracket and we can go from there.maybe its to old for their site?if indeed a evinrude they did not have or still dont have 4 strokes,so at the very least i can say you have a 50 hp. 2-stroke.

kaos2tru

Cadet

Ok cool, i really wanted to know if it was 2 or 4. It looked like a 2 stroke but i don't want to make any stupid mistakes. I'll get the rest of the numbers in a hour or so. I really appreciate your help. I would love to learn to work on outboard motors, right now it's just gas car motors.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

your welcome.get the numbers and as an extra a pic would be cool.once we determine what year the motor is then you can go get a manual which is and will be your best friend,trust me on that one.also do you have a evinrude dealer near you he can also help in identification?hopefully i or somebody will be able to get the year nailed down.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok sucess!by the number of 50273c you have a 1972 50 hp evinrude.

kaos2tru

Cadet

the closest dealer that i know of is 30miles away and they don't even know how to look up a model number or tell me what book i wanted. I have a book for a 3 cylinder and 4cylinder johnson/evinrude from sending a buddy of mine to get me a book. That's what they thought i could use.

kaos2tru

Cadet

AWESOME!!! I thank you very very much. Now if i can just get it to run right i'll be doin great. Does the book have a trouble shooting section or should i just stick to these forums? I need to figure out why it won't idle low or what it should be doing for voltage output right now it's about 12.69v

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no matter what get a manual.off hand i cant say if it ,s electric shift or linkage style,for example.both use completly different types of gear oil and are not compatable with each other for example.my cousin put regular gear oil in a electric shift style and couldnt figure out why it didnt shift,well wrong oil! electric shift is omc type c and manual would be lets say 89w90 outboard gearoil for example.yes the guys on here can help a ton but to a man/woman they will all tell you to get a manual and do a compression check etc first.

kaos2tru

Cadet

Yeah i'm gonna get a manual the compression was i think 65psi but my guage is a matco digital and the readings suck i'm not sure if they are correct I also don't know what the compression should be

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not 65 psi thats for sure!honestly dont know myself but i would think around 120 ish? guys help out on this one .as for the comp tester if your not sure about it try another one ,it happened to me too,60 psi on one comp tester 120 on another!ask lots of questions everybody is here to help each other if we can.lots of knowledge in this forum.

kaos2tru

Cadet

Yeah I got 126 one time then 65 or so on the same cylinder then on the other was 122 then 76 then 155 so i'm pretty sure my compression test went t.u.