Trim Problems

sailfin

Cadet
I have a 1995 Force 120 ... The problem I have is that the motor will not trim when the boat is tring to get on step, if I play with the trim switch long enough the motor will trim. The tilt trim works fine when the boat is not in motion. Could this not be a electrical problem ?? I have replaced the tilt trim switch ....

RRitt

Captain
Re: Trim Problems

it could be a corroded connection causing the motor to get inadequate current. It could also be a problem with pump or motor. If you raise engine then go to plane does engine hold? If so then hydraulic rams are probably good.

sailfin

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response ..... I went through all of my electrical connections yesterday and did some house cleaning ..... I did notice some corrision on the trim wire connectors. Taking the boat out in a couple of days for a sea trial see how she responds .... When we were out last I had to travel 45 miles down the coastline when she finally got on step she was good for the 45 miles. Maybe it might be only electrical ??

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

If the trim works electrically out of the water it should work electrically in the water. When you are under way there is a lot more force pushing the engine into the transom. If you have a marginal o ring in the piston or a weak check valve the engine will not trim under load.

On shore try holding the engine down while someone operates the trim. You should find a lot of force pushing up on the engine. The force is equal to the surface area of the piston times the pressure. Assume the trim piston to be three inches in diameter. The area is 1.5" squared time Pi or 7.06 square inches. At 80psi thats 80 X 7.06 or 564 pounds of force!

If you can hold the engine down, you have a hydraulic problem.

sailfin

Cadet

Thanks CHUCKZ ..... With someone controling the trim tilt button I used my body weight 200 LBS to hold down the outboard. The motor raised and lower me with no problem.

RRitt

Captain

it sounds electrical to me. the motors draw a lot of amps and do not have very much extra power to start with. the switch and switch wires don't carry much current so they are not very affected by bad connections. the part of system that needs to be a very good connection is from battery to relays and from relays to trim motor. this includes both positive and negative.

sailfin

Cadet

Had my boat on the water yesterday a 1802 Trophy ... armed with tools and testers .... Push the trottle down to get on step and the boat came down with no efford .... I was able to trim the engine for a max speed of 38 and a smooth ride. Maybe problem solved .....
Thanks Guys for all of the help ....

sailfin

Cadet

This tim problem I have is starting to drive me crazy .... I had the boat out yesterday and again no trim ... Could this be a electrical problem in the tilt trim switch ?? I installed the new switch myself . any ideas out their ????

Firemedic09

Seaman Apprentice

when your the boat is sitting or being trailered does the motor slowly go down after being lifted all the way up? if so there is a good possability that maybe the fluid is low or you have air in the lines. i had the same problem and it was just low. although it took a good 30 min to get all the air out after i put mor fliud in it.

sorry i shouldt have called that fluid as its more like motor oil. 30w non detergent oil. if you put regular oil in it then you will eat up the seals. this is what some people on the forum rccomended the T/T pump get and i belive that what my manual said also

sailfin

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response .... I'm quite sure that it isn't the a fluid or air problem ... the motor will not creep down when left in the tilted up position for sometime, it can hold my body weight and lift me up and down of the ground. The tilt will go up and down all day in the driveway and at the dock but when in motion the trim will not work to bring the boat on step.

Brother Firefighter
Local 209
Edmonton,Aberta Canada