First boat - Questions

caharris79

Cadet
I've recently been researching boats quite a bit and plan to buy my first by next June. I know what I want - something in the 19' to 21' range; a cruiser/runabout/or bowrider style, probably an I/O set-up, with a price range of 4 to 5k. Most of the boats in my price range have been older (80's and beyond) except for a few Bayliners.

Maybe I've read too much, but I'm worried about hull design - materials used, thickness, etc. As most of the boats I'm looking at are older, I have no way to know the quality of the hull. I've read that many boats (and espscially mid-80's boats) are made with less fiberglass and more "high-tech" (read: low-quality) materials. However, on this forum, most people are concentrating on the condition of the motor and any woodwork/flooring when purchasing a used boat. Should I be less worried about the mystery-hulls and more concerned with mechanics? Any manufacturers/years I should avoid?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

-Colin

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First boat - Questions

If you go with Bayliner make sure you check out the floors first they did have flooring problems, (I tell you this as a Bayliner owner). Actually no matter what boat you go with check out the floors and make sure they are solid first. Bayliner just in particular had this problem and is known throughout the boating world as having weak floors. As far as the hull thickness goes, I don't know much about that so ill leave it up to some one else to answer, but you do see many many boats like you described still on the water, so I guess it can't be too much of a problem.

BoatAddiction

Seaman Apprentice

I'm certainly no expert, but I've picked up a little bit by virtue of going through four surveys on larger boats. Vandy has already mentioned decks, soft spots and such. Just like with decks, the big thing you're looking for in the hull and stringers is water intrusion. Look for exposed fiberglass, stress cracks, and improperly bedded (loose) hardware (cleats and such). These are all potential ways for water to make its way into fiberglass. Look at the stringers as best as you can and check for any holes in the stringers that are not properly sealed to prevent water intrusion. Once water gets in the fiberglass, it will travel along the strands and find its way to something you don't want it to (coring material, wooden stringers, wooden transom, floatation foam). I think, though I could be wrong, that many smaller boats were often built without any wood or coring (someone smarter than me may can tell you more on this). Check for any signs that water has been sitting in the bilge. I firmly believe that if water sits in the bilge long enough, it will find its way into the transom. If the seller allows it, another trick is to pull any transom gadgets (such as a depth finder transducer) from the transom and see if water flows from the now vacant screw holes. If it does, you may want to look for another boat.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the engine and drive are also important, stay away from omc, as an omc owner. mainly for the parts that will be hard to find in the future. also stay away from ford power, ford has beeen out of the marine market for a while, again not knocking ford, just a parts issue, manifolds come to mind

caharris79

Cadet

Great info! Thanks. Yeah, cheap, biodegradeable coring material is what I was worried about. Like you, I'm wondering if this was mainly only in larger boats. I know it was/is used to cut down on weight and cost. Also, good point on the OMC & Fords - I've been reading on here for a few days and figured out to avoid them.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

anything from the 80s is going to be a rott bucket. A soft floor tells you there is rott under the floor and an old boat with a hard floor and new carpet tells you that the last guy riped the floor up and ignored the rest of the rott unless they tell you the stringer and transom have also been replaced. My first boat was a 1976 cobia and i got it for $500, I could not belive the great deal i got after i spent $20 on the card rebuild kits and had the thing running great i was excited to get it out on the water. When i got the old boat on the water I noticed the transom would flex when i gave it gas so I got help from a guy down the street from me who worked in the hunter plant and found all the wood in the boat had rotted into dirt. I replaced the stringers, transom, and floor after that the boat was nice and sound but i swor then that i would never do that ever again. I love boating but i hate working on them. When you buy something save your money a little longer and shop a little harder. Do not buy anything older then late 90s thats about the time that they stoped using wood in most boats and don't buy anything with wood in it. If wood was ment to be in the water trees would grow in the middel of lakes.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Take your time. Look for a boat that was garaged, it will be head and sholders above anything stored outdoors.

As far as the hull goes, those Bayliners are popular with the rebuild crowd because the floors are easy to replace and they claim the hulls are solid. I just picked up an 85 Bayliner and removed a transom eye to inspect the transom for water and found a full 1/2 inch of glass matt layup (not chopper gun). Man was I surprised!

So my advice is to take your time and find a boat in great shape. They are out there, it just takes time to find them.

BTW, I found my boat on Craigs List for half of what the dealers were selling them for.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike176 is, of course, not correct that all boats from the 80's are rot buckets. HE bought a bad boat it sounds like, but you don't have to! However, it is true that many that old are rotting out some or a lot. Waiting until you have enough for a late 90's/early 2000's boat more than doubles the price tag, which for many is not an option.

Read the last few threads here about buying first used boats. Mr. Stuart has a LONG thread recently that shows mistakes and success. Read all the advice in that thread! He had a limited budget also.

A garage kept boat is certainly a much more likely no rot boat from that time period. MAKE SURE the seller treats the boat right and cares for it. Some of that you can see right away looking at it, some not. Avoid all the engines/drives that aren't easy to find parts for or service people for (see thread mentioned above). Once you find a nice one, have a mechanic of your choosing check out the engine for you to avoid a very costly mistake.

Good luck.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

anything from the 80s is going to be a rott bucket.
I think there are a few of us that may take offense to that statement, let me be the first on this thread. Many 80's boats were properly maintained and taken care of. My 21 yrs.& No rot. Many a 80's boat restorations made those boat's better then OEM original and very seaworthy. Many a dollar and hours of labor have been spent on 80's boats. Those boats that received the restoration should not be called "rott buckets" and may well be an excellent buy. So, don't automatically discount all 80's boats. There are many threads about brand new boat's rot and hull problems. Since Colin's thread question was basically on hulls, IMHO, I would rather have a heavy solid FRP 80's hull then the new cored hulls sandwiched with who-knows-what to save a few bucks.

Buying anything used with a low budget can be a crapshoot. When buying a boat; arm yourself with knowledge, blind yourself to glitz and bling and don't be in a hurry to buy.

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice

Wow Nova that boat looks incredible. I'd love to get my hands on a beat up one of those for a project.

caharris79

Cadet

A soft floor tells you there is rott under the floor... When i got the old boat on the water I noticed the transom would flex when i gave it gas
I'll definately pay close attention to the floors, transom, and any holes, fittings, or accessories drilled into the fiberglass.

...found a full 1/2 inch of glass matt layup (not chopper gun). Man was I surprised! ...BTW, I found my boat on Craigs List for half of what the dealers were selling them for.
That is surprising, but good to hear! And I've been scanning craigslist religiously! Haha.

In most areas you can expect to pay top dollar in June. Consider making your purchase between late summer and the winter season. Also give an outboard serious consideration.
Hopefully I'll be on the water by June. I do plan to buy earlier. I agree on the outboard, but I'm having trouble finding them for the size/style boat I'm looking at. I've found a few that have been repowered with OB's, but not many. I'll be patient though.

Waiting until you have enough for a late 90's/early 2000's boat more than doubles the price tag, which for many is not an option... Read the last few threads here about buying first used boats. Mr. Stuart has a LONG thread recently that shows mistakes and success.
I'm in that situation. Plus, I really like the lines on the older boats. I've seen a couple of '79 Formula's that were gorgeous and even a few Reinell's (any thoughts on older Reinell's? I see lots of them for sale) I read Mr.Stuart's entire thread and soaked it all in. He was in a very similar situation. I've learned a lot in just a few days here - this forum is GREAT.

Wow Nova that boat looks incredible. I'd love to get my hands on a beat up one of those for a project.
I agree! Beautiful!

Thanks everyone, for all of your input! I'm learning a great deal here!

Last edited:

BoatAddiction

Seaman Apprentice

Like Nova II, I believe you can find a 1980s boat without a rot problem. If my 1988 Wellcraft has rot, it is well hidden. Even a boat built in the 2000s can have rot, especially those with the cored hulls. If I were you, I'd not concentrate on the year of the boat but on the price, quality, and setup you're looking for. I also would lean toward an outboard for the size boat you're looking for. Some may would disagree, but I think an outboard cuts down on the issues you have to deal with as opposed to a sterndrive (bellows, etc). I think you may be surprised at how nice of a used boat you can find in your $5000.00 price range. Your boat is out there waiting on you to find it.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the kuddo's. She's got the expected dings, bumps and weathering from use and her age, they just don't show up well in the pics. With basic care, maintenance, proper storage and no neglect, any boat can be reliable and look good. Age doesn't matter! That was my message to caharris79.
Not to be little anyone's boat but some new boats can have structure problem. So, buying a late model (anything) does not give you guaranteed perfection. Much like a woman, you have the find the right one for you.