Mercruiser 4.3 - New Boater needs help!!!

amigo

Recruit
I'm completely new to boating and need advice. I recently purchased a 1997 Starcraft (18 foot open bow) with 4.3 Mercruiser.

After a few weeks use, I discovered an oil leak. The local marina advises that the leak is coming from the timing chain cover. However, they tell me that the engine block does not appear to be a marine block. They have never seen anything like it previously, and specifically point to the fact that the oil dipstick has been moved positions, with the previous hole now being sealed with the use of a screw.

I checked with the previous owner. He tells me that the block had been replaced after it had cracked due to improper winterization. He said the work was done by a reputable dealership. I checked with the dealership and they said the block was purchased from a marine part supplier and should be marine quality. I've seen the work order and the price charged by the dealership for the short-block was $1500. My mechanic says that if it is a marine block, they've never seen anything like it and suggest having it replaced - otherwise I run the risk of having it blow and the labour involved in repairing the oil leak will be spent for nothing.

Can anybody give me advice here? Can the block actually be a marine block or is it a car block that is being passed off as a "marine" block? Would it make a difference? All of the other parts (i.e. starter, alternator, etc.) are Mercruiser.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!!!!

tommays

Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 - New Boater needs help!!!

..%5Cimages%5CCRUISER%5C822454.92%5C35.gif

..%5Cimages%5CCRUISER%5C809969.98%5C21.gif

The dipstick has been done a bunch of ways as long as the oil can be sucked out to change it i dont see the issue :confused:

It is the parts that bolt on that make a block marine

Tommays

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

As far as your 4.3 goes, there is no difference between an auto block an a marine block.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The block is a GM casting, a 4.3 is a 4.3. the "Marine" aspect of it differs only in add on or bolt on components. If you do a search here you'll find more info than you'll care to read all telling you the same thing. BTW welcome aboard.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

You might want to try posting some pictures so we can see what you have..

Gary

mkpj1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For what it's worth, I just replaced my carb on my 3.0L because the original carb was just too worn to rebuild. It was mostly the lower housing of the carb that was worn (a Roach 2GC carb by the way which where used on GM cars quite a bit). I thought to myself that I could go get a 2GC from the junk yard as they are plentiful around here. So I got one and there was quite a bit of difference. The outer venturi was about 2/16ths smaller and it was vented to the air. So I nixed the idea thinking I was crazy to try such an idea. well, I ordered a rebuilt from Sierra and guess what. It's a spitting image of the one I got off the car! they did exactly what I thought I could do but didn't. I'm still not real happy about it as the venting is still different in the float bowl and I think th double check ball system is better in the marine application.

Ken

180shabah

Rear Admiral

amigo said:
My mechanic says that if it is a marine block, they've never seen anything like it and suggest having it replaced - otherwise I run the risk of having it blow and the labour involved in repairing the oil leak will be spent for nothing.

That is a HUGE steaming pile of Bovine Excrement!!!!

Find a new mechanic, there are plenty of good ones out there.

Bondo

Staff member

That is a HUGE steaming pile of Bovine Excrement!!!!

Find a new mechanic, there are plenty of good ones out there.

Ayuh,........

You need a Different Mechanic.........

Btw,........
The motor Has to be Pulled to replace the rusted out Timing Cover........
I'd have a Close Look at the Oil Pan atthe same time,.....
If 1 is Rusted Out,... The other won't be far behind......

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Also, verify the core plugs are brass, not steel. If they are steel, have them replaced, it will only add a few dollars to the cost.

amigo

Recruit

Thank you all or your assistance. I can't believe how helpful and quick your responses have been!! One other quick follow-up question. Another mechanic told me that the cam would be different in a standard GM block and would not withstand the high rpms of boating. Does that make sense? I should have added that in addition to being new to boating, I don't know a whole lot about mechanics. Dangerous combination, I know ;)

Again, thank you all for your help.

Bondo

Staff member

Another mechanic told me that the cam would be different in a standard GM block,
Does that make sense?

Ayuh,.......... Sorta.........

They're All Chevy Blocks,.........
It's what's In them,+ On them that makes a Marine, or Car, or Truck motors.......

That said,.......
A Car Cam will deliver Power in the rpm ranges that may not be suited to Boating,......
A Truck Cam will be So Close,..... It works Just Fine........
And of course, A Marine Cam is the Best for Boating.......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Funny, my 327-375hp never had a problem with a factory bumpstick.????
marine cams are mostly non-emission ,a rv/truck cam is very close to an actual marine cam.nice bottom end torque .trouble starts with a cam that has a lot of valve overlap and long duration.running a dry exaust(Gill headers) this is not a problem ,running a wet exaust ,water can be pulled back into the exaust and into the engine.