Houseboat advice

alwayslooking

Recruit
Alrighty-
In the market for a houseboat. looking for something in the low 40 foot range, and definitely not new (looking to spend 10-15K, willing to bump up a little if the boat is right). other than that, I don't have a lot of requirements...it would need to have a trailer with it, and that's about all I know right now.

What should I be looking for or to avoid? any particular brand that is notorious for problems, etc.?

Located in Central Iowa (Des Moines), if that helps.

thanks everyone!

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Houseboat advice

Yes I understand needing a trailer, Will you be leaving it in a slip for the season?

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never houseboated, but I am very interested in it. If I were buying one for myself, I would try to buy one with a flybridge. It looks like it would be alot easier to control the vessel from up there as opposed to in your living room haha. Finding one with a trailer is going to be your hardest challenge, most houseboats are sold without them. I have heard good things about the brands Holiday and Gibson, but I have also seen them priced higher then some other brands. The Lil' Hobo's like this one on eBay (200136536458) are smaller then what your looking for but are mostly sold with trailers and for a pretty low price. (I realize that one is out of your price range, but there are others in your range that are often for sale). Again, if it was me, I would spend the 10-15k on a better brand boat that is Mechanically and structurally sound, even if it needs interior work, because remodeling the interior is alot easier than dealing with mechanical or structural issues. Sorry I haven't really offered too much advice because I am not an expert in this field, but good luck in your search and maybe someone else here can provide you with more info then I can.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when i think of house boat i think of a barge type. or are you talking about a cruiser type. 40 ft range would require a commercial vehicle to tow it. and most 40 footers are wider than highway limits without special permits. it's like moving a mobile home.

alwayslooking

Recruit

wavenbye2-yes, the plan would be to slip it for the season, and then home for the winter (only about 25 miles from lake to home).

vandy-thanks for the brand names, like i said, i don't even know where to start, and having your reccommendation helps...and I am with you, I have no problem remodeling a cruddy interior as long as I know it is mech/struct sound.

tashasdaddy-I never even THOUGHT of that! that is another thing to consider...sheesh, I don't even own a boat yet, and I am already missing things!:eek:

any other thoughts/suggestions out there?

thanks to those that were helpful so quickly!

tommays

Admiral

Its funny out west they have those mega house boats and here it pretty much means a house on a barge without a motor :D

Tommays

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other suggestion. If you are planning on keeping it at a slip during boating season, you could consider renting a trailer or hiring people to move it. I have heard that that is what a lot of people do. I'm not sure how big your lake is, but if its of any decent size, and there are other houseboats on it you could probably do this. It may be expensive I'm not sure, But its just another option to keep in mind. One last thing, If theres a decent size marina where you boat, check with them about storing it there. A lot of people store large boats like sail boats at the marina. They can help you take it out of the water and load it onto blocks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my suggestion before buying do some renting, and see how different types handle. you may find you do not like one type, and love the other. 10-15 is not going to buy much. maybe the May-float.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm courious as to Why you Must have a Trailer,....??....
Most Houseboats are docked at a Marina,+ Travel-Lifted to their Blocks for the off season,.....

Myself,....... I bought this Nautaline 34'er at an Auction just over a year ago,.....
f17761.jpg

I paid $500.00 for the Boat,..
Dropped another $400.00 into the Drives,+ Another $600.00 just to Move it......
100_3441.jpg

I Really Didn't enjoy that ride,..........
That's After I towed it around Independence Point,+ down into Chaumont Harbor,..Tight turn,+ All to get into the wind....
We had to set it on Charlie's Hyd. Trailer to set it on Blocks at another Marina, just across the river from My houses...... Charlie can Launch it there, but not Retreve it......
100_3812.jpg

So I built This in my driveway last Spring/ Winter........
Now I can both Lauch,+ Hopefully, Retreve it this year.....
The Launch went smooth enough,... Plenty of trailer Length.... That was Charlie's problem.....
100_3943.jpg

And now it resides Here,........ Atleast til October or November......;)

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a sweet boat, especially for only $500!

Cptkid570

Ensign

I don't want to hijack the thread, so maybe your reply will help out Alwayslooking.. But, Bond-O, where did you find that for $500?? Was it a local auction?

NYJim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 42' gibson. Nice shape. their is no way I would trailer it. 12' wide. Paid a hauler 300 to bring home and block it up. I am also considering keeping it in the water all season (NY) with bubbler. Dont forget the weight facter mine is over 10000 lbs.

NYJim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alrighty-
In the market for a houseboat. looking for something in the low 40 foot range, and definitely not new (looking to spend 10-15K, willing to bump up a little if the boat is right). other than that, I don't have a lot of requirements...it would need to have a trailer with it, and that's about all I know right now.

What should I be looking for or to avoid? any particular brand that is notorious for problems, etc.?

Located in Central Iowa (Des Moines), if that helps.

thanks everyone!

I bought a 1979 Gibson, 42' twin engines, generator A/c. very good condition. paid 9K. forget trailering. too wide 12'. pay for a proffesional or leave in water year round......