Gear Replacement on 1988, XP100 ???

c22jrc

Recruit
After putting up with a thump in the lower unit it now MUST be fixed. We don't use the boat much and it has had this problem for several years. The thump would usually only happen once or twice in an hour, but now it is
unusable. I have the service manual and am wondering about some of the special tools it mentions for the C-ring and pulling the gears. Do I need the "official Evinrude tools" or can I use something else? I have ordered a set of forward and reverse gears and clutch dog. What else should I do while it is apart? I'm thinking water pump kit and and new seals and O-rings? I have NEVER worker on a lower unit, any advice????
Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear Replacement on 1988, XP100 ???

Do you have the shim tool?

c22jrc

Recruit

Shim tool???? No? Don't even know what it is. Something I will need and should buy?
Thanks

jpg0511

Seaman Apprentice

I called the dealer for one of the c ring pullers and they said it was a dealer only item and they would not sell it to me. I tried to get one of the rings out of the old unit and destroyed it. I got some really long neddle nose pliers I am going to try if I ever get time.

Marc III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bent and ground the tips on some sturdy needle nose pliers to get mine out. I also straightened the handles and added some pipe for leverage.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Pro Marine sells the snap ring tool. Not sure about the shim tool. 800-621-7761.