lOOking 4 1st boat

Tony_in_alabama

Recruit
I am looking for my first boat. I am in no hurry at the moment. I am looking for something to fish and play in. I live on the gulf coast and would like something to go about 50-60 miles out. I also want to beable to go into the rivers and play and all that jazz.

the boat I have been looking at is the Tidewater Boats.

http://www.tidewaterboats.net/index.html I feel they make a boat that would be easy in both areas. they are also a new company and would like to know what you guys and gals think of them. This is the one that I like http://www.tidewaterboats.net/216CC.html

Tony

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: lOOking 4 1st boat

Welcome to iboats.

Do the math you will need more fuel than the tanks hold for that type trip. If you run into foul weather you will consume more fuel.

I like that boat design however.... I would want something that would afford more protection (a small cuddy cabin) from the weather and have good navigation.

The other alternative is not to travel out that far.

GatorTom

Seaman Apprentice

There is a reason that they are called bay boats. They are not meant to go 50-60 miles out. Do yourself and the Coast Guard a favor and get a bigger boat if you are planning on going out that far.

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi there,

I live in Silverhill, Al. Nice to read your post.

DO NOT GO OUT THAT FAR IN THAT BOAT!!!!!.

It is a nice boat and will give you years of fun.

I use a 21 Ft Renken, with 200 Merc. In 2-3ft waves we can run about 20 to 25 MPH without killing our selves. SO that is about a 2 to 3 hour run. It is bad news. 10 to 12 miles to the offshore reefs and rigs is a lot of fun. There are several out Perdido Pass. Also the Dixie bar out past FT Morgan.
Fuel rule is 1/3 out, 1/3 back, and 1/3 for back up.
My son-in-law went out 20 miles one day, and he said it was a real long, tuff day.

Like the man said, if you really want to go out that far, bigger boat, more fuel, two engines, cabin for protection.

Also, there are plenty of places you can fish with that boat in our area.

Don't mean to be harsh, but I don't want to read about you in the paper.

Check www.outdooralabama for rules, regs, courses, and places to fish.

Have fun,

Mike

Mr. Ross

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It appears you plan on purchasing a new boat. I suggest you go for a larger one of high quality that is a few years old to gain the safety for running the distance you propose.

Good luck!

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I agree a boat with a cabin for protection from the elements, Going 50-60 miles out:eek: with out protection, your not going to beat the weather, if the waves are too high, to go fast on. you might want to consider buying another boat too (AN INFLATABLE LIFE BOAT) In that boat your lives could be in danger no matter how nice it looks.

Tony_in_alabama

Recruit

Thanks you guys. The going out that far would be few and far between. I was wanting to know if it would make it and do ok. I know there is WAY more fishing than most could imagine within a 20 miles radius of Dauphin Island, AL. I appreciate all the honesty and all the advice.

Tony

kmurray802

Seaman

I don't so much have a problem with the boat as to the fact that your new to boating and you plan to just shoot offshore to learn.(NOT the place you want to teach yourself boating).
Offshore trips are 90% planning,preparation and proper equipment.Only go on days that sea's are low and weather is not expected to turn bad.Spend the $ for a quality GPS,VHF and safety equip.(first-aid,flars,e-pirb,etc.).
Always try to line up a "buddy boat" to go with.
I don't fish the Gulf I fish the Atlantic out of northeast Fl.
I run a 33' off shore machine with twin 225 four strokes,well maintaned and loaded with all equip. & electronics and cabin, but if NOAA say's over 3' I'M NOT GOING!
You might feel like your in a "big ole unsinkable boat" until it swells up.The ocean has a way of making your big boat shrink real fast.Not much fun when your 60 miles out.

studlymandingo

Commander

Yes it will make it; be very aware of the weather forecast and make sure you have a full tank of fuel. You will want to have a working VHF radio and make sure all of your safety equipment is working and up to date.

I go pretty far out in a smaller CC than that boat; I know my boat very well, how she handles waves and wind, and I watch the forecast carefully and keep the VHF tuned to the weather channel. That said, I've been diving before and come up to some pretty nasty weather; I've brought her home in some big water, going just fast enough to keep the boat on plane. If the boat is big enough for 95% of your needs then don't go out and buy a 29'er because you want to go offshore a couple of times a season. I used to own a big boat with a big engine and an even bigger fuel tank; I found out quickly that it was more than I needed as I only venture way offshore occasionally.

One boat can't be everything, you can find a rig that does what you want well, but may be a compromise in other areas; it really comes down to you determining what you want most out of your boat.

Renting a couple of different kinds of boats is a really good idea.​

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if you haven't bought one already...i have the same one and go out 30 miles and i'm comfortable with it. not sure i'd take it any further than that. here in destin 30 miles out will actually get you into some really deep water.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

old thread.

60 miles out is a long way for a pleasure craft.......

if any one is looking to go that far out....make sure you have many power squadren courses under your belt.....

all the safety gear.......and...KNOW THE WEATHER.....

have a back up radio.....

even cruise ships get in trouble that far out

tomh59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is a long way when you need help NOW! Pretty small boat for a
60 mile trip. The ocean changes in seconds not minutes.