3.0 Gm

cardoc672

Cadet
Hi all I have a question about the GM 3.0 marine engine. I found a good deal on an 88 bayliner with a 3.0 but the engine block is cracked. I have heard this engine block is the same as the old GM 2.5 Pontiac motor also knows as the "Iron Duke" My question is are they the same? Is it possible to use a 2.5 block? I have been an auto tech for 15 years and have repaired 100's of the ol Iron dukes so I dont think the nuts and bolts part is going to be an issue. This boat is also equiped with an omc outdrive. I have been doing some pricing and have found the marine engines seem a little pricey. I am hoping I can build one for myself if I can find the parts and save a little :)

Thanks in advance.

atomictaco

Cadet
Re: 3.0 Gm

I have this same motor as well with a cracked block. From my research the block is not the same as any block used in an automobile, it was a specialty marine block. From what I have heard the 3.0 Mercruiser block are notorious for cracking on the port side just under the deck. Mine has only penetrated the cooling jackets so I am not dealing with any water in the oil. I currently have it covered with JB weld and that has done a good job of slowing the leak. This winder I am going to actually drill the ends of the crack to prevent further cracking, v out the crack, and fill it with JB weld for a better sealing repair. Many I have spoken with have done this same repair with good success.

Not sure if this is the same problem you are experiencing, if it is there is a lot of info on the repair on the web.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Find out what the extent of the crack is. If there's water in the oil, run away. If the oil is still good, you may be able to do the JB Weld repair. Chances are that it's internal. Most people who sneak by with a small crack on the outside keep their boat and ignore the leak, or fix it themselves. The boats you find being sold for ridiculously low prices generally will require very expensive repairs. In short, very often a "good deal" is not such a good deal.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

The reason the 3 liters crack there is their owners are NOTORIOUS for not winterizing the engines and through their negligence the engines are destroyed.

Bondo

Staff member

Reason #1 to Run as Fast as you can to get Away from this Deal..........
This boat is also equiped with an omc outdrive.
Reason #2 to Run as Fast as you can to get Away from this Deal..........
on an 88 bayliner
Reason #3 to Run as Fast as you can to get Away from this Deal..........
but the engine block is cracked.

These are Not the same Iron Duke you're familar with,... As noted above.......

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

All true...a "Great Deal" would be if seller gave you $500 to haul it away to the landfill IF it had a decent trailer that went with it.