Am I missing something???

studlymandingo

Commander
'96 Kawasaki ZXi 1100, just recently rebuilt the carbs and she was running great; just took her out this evening and I couldn't get it over 4000 RPMs without it stumbling and dying. It starts easily and idles perfectly but anytime I try to get it over 4K I would get the same result. If I pump the primer it will run fine for a few seconds so this tells me there is a fuel delivery problem. I checked all of the connections and found no leaks anywhere. The last time it was used was 2 weeks ago, I let a buddy take it to the beach where I was with my boat. He didn't close the flush valve before he took off, so there was water shooting into the engine compartment; it was only ridden a short distance from the ramp to where I was beached, he told me it was running like crap I checked it, found the cap off and tightened it up. I rode it for a while with it sputtering and it finally began to clear up. It ran great for the last 3 hours we had it out. It was run and flushed with fresh water when I got home. I hadn't used it since until today.

I checked the compression, 125-130 on all 3, no great variations. I checked spark with a spark-gap tester and had spark on all three. I checked my needle settings and they are the same, even opened the high-speed needles a bit with no change.

I noticed when running on the flush valve back at home, the front two cylinders were warmer than the rear cylinder; also, I could stall the motor by placing my hand over either of the front two carbs, but placing my hand over the rear carb would only cause the motor to stumble. This makes me think there should be some sort of vacuum leak associated with this cylinder. When I squeeze the throttle, the accelerator pump shoots an equal amount of fuel into all three carbs. The motor will run on any single cylinder (the other two plug wires disconnected) so it would seem that all cylinders are firing properly.

I just don't get it, there is fuel, fire, and compression. Is it possible that some saltwater got into the carbs when the ski was run with the flush valve open? It ran great for several hours after this happened, so it would not really seem to be the answer.

Any ideas where I should be looking?​

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Am I missing something???

Pulled the diaphragm covers thinking the atmospheric vents might have some salt deposits or something. The screw that holds the plate containing the needle assembly was completely loose in the #1 carb...:eek:

I'm usually VERY careful when doing such an operation; either I didn't tighten it well, or wave jumping and vibrations worked it loose. Either way, putting it in it's proper home made her run like an ape who had adult relations against it's will once again!!!​

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Glad it was a simple fix...:D

Had mine out yesterday,Got to shallow and the pump sucked up a rock:eek:
Now the impeller has chips in it..:( they are not bad but i wonder what it will do to performance.

studlymandingo

Commander

I'm sure it will cause some cavitation; is it something you can hammer out?​

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I may be able to sand them out. If i'm going to the trouble of removing it i will just put a new one in.I have no idea how hard a job it is though...:rolleyes:

studlymandingo

Commander

Just looking at the manual, it seems pretty straightforward on the Kawasaki. Never having done it though...​

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have the downloaded manual for the Seadoo. Almost 400 pages...I'll keep reading:D