good safe steering mechanism

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a 18'cc Hydrosport 150 suzuki,a deep bay boat.Has single cable now and is unsafe.What would be a good safe steering mechanism around 55 mph?Everybody says something different.The boat weighs around 1600lbs.Any help would be really appreciated!

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: good safe steering mechanism

Why is a single cable for a 150 deemed 'unsafe'? Most (at least many) 17-18 boats with 150's are single cable steering.

studlymandingo

Commander

I just replaced my single-cable teleflex with a hydraulic system; I would never want anything but hydraulic again. Huge difference in handling and safety. You can let go of the wheel at any speed and she tracks straight! Very little resistance at any speed or trim setting; I highly recommend the switch.​

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for in put ! What kind of teleflex steering do you have(1.7,pro,baystar)? Has anyone heard of of the ultraflex?What kind of speeds do you run and size of boat and engine?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

either hydrolic, as studly said, or the teleflex nofeedback rotary.

studlymandingo

Commander

My hydraulic is the SeaStar by Teleflex. It's on a center console with a 150 HP outboard. The boat will push 50. The hydraulic steering made all of the difference in the world; made the boat much more manageable and safer.​

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input everybody!I'm going to go the teleflex saestar pro,which will give me room to increase my prop when I get my water pressure guage hooked up.

studlymandingo

Commander

Post your results when you have the new steering installed...

I'm betting you are going to be surprised at how much better your boat handles. You'll think you're in a different boat!!!​