9.5 1969 Evinrude

sgtweinke

Cadet
Re: 9.5 1969 Evinrude

i dont beleive he is taking it completely apart...dont know much about these things but i beleive he is going to see if the float needle is stuck? Not really sure except I know boat motors seem to be a pain in my butt. Luckily in the fall my grandfather is going to sell me his boat with a 9.9 2000 mercury should have better luck with that

iwombat

Captain

Gotta take it totally apart to clean out the float needle and seat.

sgtweinke

Cadet

Iwombat:

You Have Been Very Very Helpful So Since We Have That Apart Are You Saying That It Would Be Idiotiac Not To Replace Everything From The Carb Kit?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

with respect,i would think its idiotic as well,that said,that lil 9.5 engine is a great motor,had a couple of them,the 2000 9.9 could be trouble too if you let it sit toolong and the carb get gummed up,once the carb is done and assuming the points etc.are ok it should run great,dont be afraid to pick up a wrench or a screwdriver,there are plenty of manuals around and the help on this site is limitless,.The knowledge you find on one page here is probably more than any one mechanic will ever learn,these guys did it ,saw it,BROKE it and FIXED it.good luck

sgtweinke

Cadet

Again Thanks For Everyones Help. I Think I Am Going To Get A Manual And Do It Myself. Is It Really That Hard. I Know With A Car Carb There Is Alot Of Fine Tuning After You Put It Back Together. How Hard On A Scale Of 1 To 10 Is This Project. Want It To Run Right!!!!!!

darrklim2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Again Thanks For Everyones Help. I Think I Am Going To Get A Manual And Do It Myself. Is It Really That Hard. I Know With A Car Carb There Is Alot Of Fine Tuning After You Put It Back Together. How Hard On A Scale Of 1 To 10 Is This Project. Want It To Run Right!!!!!!

On a scale of 1 to 10??? If you consider an automotive carburator to be a 6 I would say a boat carburator is a 2. I would say as long as you know the difference between a flat screwdriver and a phillips you could follow the instructions in a manual and get this done. If even then you have problems, like mikesea said, there are countless people on here that will be more than helpful.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Nothing difficult no real measurements. A little patience and an hour or so...

Essentially you take it apart remove the float and jets. Soak it to remove varnishes or crud. Blow out all the little holes with an aerosol carb cleaner (Unless you have a compressor). Clean it thoroughly. When you re-assemble the float and valve you bend a little piece of metal to set the float level, and re-assemble with three or four new seals. Then re-install and go boating :)

IF there's anything particular to your model others WILL chime in but thats essentially it.

I did six of mine over the course of two evenings after dinner. One to remove and dis-assemble and one to re-assemble and install.

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best advice - take the carb and float chamber off and you'll see how simple it really is. There's not much to it. Blow out the ports, carefully remove the old gaskets, and put the new gaskets, seat and needle and you're done. It will be obvious how everything goes back together once you see it in place. If you have questions, ask us, we're free!

If you don't have a manual the library has at least old Clymer manuals that will give you parts breakdown and procedures for a rebuild. Trust us, it's easy if you can turn a screw driver. BTW, you'll need a small flat blade screwdriver to remove the high speed jet. It can be hard to get out, but that's the hardest part of the whole deal IMO. Imported_F_R created a high speed jet removal tool here - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=211190&highlight=high+speed+tool.

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, checked the service manual and our motors are the same. You'll want to set the slow speed needle 3/4 turn open from the lightly seated position. In other words, turn it in all the way to the right, then back out 3/4 turn. High speed jet is fixed and the hole should be .048 inches if we didn't mention that already. To set the float level, turn the carb upside down and the float should be level with the carb body and the farthest point of the float should be 13/16 inches from the gasket surface of the carb body. When you turn the carb right-side up, like it would sit on the engine, the float drops and the farthest point should be 1 7/16 inches from the gasket surface of the body. As mentioned, adjust closed position by bending float arm from the pivot point, and the open position by bending the little tang or tab stop that hits the needle seat. Also make sure float doesn't bind in it's movement. I think that's it. Pretty simple, but you might want a manual, or just search this forum or google Evinrude 9.5 HP carb rebuild.

sgtweinke

Cadet

Ok Boys!!

First off I want to thank everyone for all the help, again! I took the carb apart this morning and you were ALL right, it was easy! So I cleaned everything (by the way it was pretty much spotless) and replaced gaskets etc. Ok so once I got it all back together I realized that I never put a new O ring to the needle valve in, in fact I never even touched the needle valve (duh). I also dumped all the bad gas (in an enviromentally safe site, of course) and cleaned the tank which did have some crude in the botton not much but some. Ok so I put fresh oil and shell gas in and still nothing. Do you think that I need to pull the carburetor body again and pull the needle valve out and clean? My hunch is this is the problem maybe a little dirt stuck in there. Also how far do I set my rich /lean button 50:1 oil mixture? Hey, I'm learning all these fancy terms so atleast I'm making some progress.:)

Franky219

Seaman Apprentice

Try running some SEAFOAM in your gas tank. I had a similiar problem with my
1972 Evinrude 9.5 and I found this site, read about using SEAFOAM, and PRESTO! no more problem! Gotta love this site and all the mechanically inclined people that are willing to give free advice! My little engine had sat for a long time (5 yrs) before I bought. It starts on the first pull everytime now. Thanks guys!

sgtweinke

Cadet

Ok so I pulled the needle valve. Cleaned and replaced O-Ring and bought some Sea-Foam. After I put that in the gas I fired it up. It started first pull. I then went and got a 50 gallon barrol filled with water and ran for about 5 minutes. It smoked a little but may be rich lean button or Sea-Foam states that It smokes at first. How far do I set my rich /lean button running 50:1 oil mixture? Again thanks all I could not have done this without you. Going fishing i the morning:D

fishermanms

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just rebuild my first one ever...(and a bunch of other stuff on a 74 Johnson 6hp)) A manual is a must, I got one here at the iboat store. The kit plus the float a must...especially since yours is cork like mine was. I ordered one without the float and ended up having to order one. You gotta have tools. And patience and people on here will help you out if you encounter something you need help with. You need a good cleaner...and an air compressor comes in handy. For cleaner I used Seafoam and purchased it here locally at a marine shop. $8.75 a can. Good Stuff!! Highly recommended. I would also find me a good cool place with a lot of light to work... But if I had to pick a number from one to ten... Upfront I would have said 9 but after I finished it I would say a 5. Maybe a 4. Be sure you do not miss any little detail. Those are simple looking carbs to the eye but alot of little secret passageways in there that can collect gum and junk and stop it up. Really the hardest part for me was removing one of the two nuts that fasten the carb to the intake. I had to get some help here on that one...because everything (mainly the hand starter) was in the way. And I deformed a wrench so it would slip up in there when reinstalling it. That was tough... Well Good Luck!!! You can do it.. Fishermanms

lexkyboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're talking about the slow speed rich/lean mix on the front of the console of the motor - turn it all the way in and seat it lightly, then back out 1 1/2 turns is what Joe Reeves says. To adjust, turn in at 1/8 increments, giving 30 seconds between turns to let the motor adjust, it will gradually increase idle, but always idle it back down. As you keep adjusting in, eventually it will start to die, that's when you back it out 1/4 turn and leave it there - that's the right setting. Note this is just the rich/lean mixture at slow speeds. Manual says to set it at 3/4 turn out from lightly seated, but Joe's method is probably best to properly set it.

Keep in mind there's an idle adjustment beside the gas hookup on the tiller handle to set the idle rpm. You may know some of this though, just making sure. Sounds like you're making good progress. Good luck... :)

sgtweinke

Cadet

Thanks, I think this is all I need to run smoothly.

Again thank you all!!!!