Guage 101 please

Liberator 6

Seaman
All,
My volt meter works sporadically, and the fuel meter died completely. I pulled the gauge cluster apart, and cleaned the terminals leading into these two gauges and applied dielectric grease. Still no guages. Volt, gas, trim, and temp all are next to eachother and seem to be wired in together. Any ideas why the two stopped working? The connections on the back of the gauges were not corroded at all which struck me as odd. Any help appreciated!

Rob

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Guage 101 please

Yup. They all have a common ground. Run a test wire to your Batt. neg. terminal. Here's Boat Wire color code.
and this is good (stolen from Silvertip:)
laughing_n.gif

Generic dash panel wiring

Liberator 6

Seaman

If they all have a common ground, and are wired in series together, wouldn't all of them not be working? The two guages that do not work are seperated by guages that DO work. I'm still confused....

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you had one gauge go out, I would think that it was something in that circuit specific, i.e. bad gauge, sensor, etc. However with 2 gauges not working at the same time, it is most likely something common to both. i.e. ground, harness plug. If you have a harness plug make sure it is corrosion free and the pins set is good. Sometimes the wire connectors look good, but aren't. Run jumpers to a known good ground. Have you run jumpers directily to the fuel tank sending unit, to see it that works? Have you got voltage at the fuel sender? I am assuming you have a Volt/Ohmmeter. Troubleshoot methodicallly, one circuit at the time. Don't expect a "fixit" here. Only troubleshooting suggestions can be offered. You'll have to physically trace it on the boat. When you find the problem, Post it.

Liberator 6

Seaman

I checked everything out and there is complete grounding and continuity. I checked the volts going to the back of the meter and it read 12, yet the gauge was showing nothing. I bought a new gauge and it solved that problem.

How do I check the fuel guage sending unit? I have voltage to the back of the gauge. I heard rumors about crossing the wires, and if the crossed wires caused the gauge...???

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked everything out and there is complete grounding and continuity. I checked the volts going to the back of the meter and it read 12, yet the gauge was showing nothing. I bought a new gauge and it solved that problem.

How do I check the fuel guage sending unit? I have voltage to the back of the gauge. I heard rumors about crossing the wires, and if the crossed wires caused the gauge...???

What I also found..is that of all the guages...the volt meter seems to be the first to go haywire. That means even to the point of not giving accurate readings..so I just replace them and they work fine for a number of years. Fuel guage I haven't heard of crossing wires. I have found that for tachs though.

Liberator 6

Seaman

I'm getting 68 ohms of resistance on the sending unit, and the gauge is showing empty. The articles said that empty should read 240 ohms. Is it logical to say the sending unit is bad?

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm getting 68 ohms of resistance on the sending unit, and the gauge is showing empty. The articles said that empty should read 240 ohms. Is it logical to say the sending unit is bad?

Is your tank around 3/4 full? If so, sounds like the sender is okay, assuming 240 ohms empty and 30 ohms full. Sounds more like the guage is faulty.

Shake the boat around a bit and see if the sender resistance changes a bit as the fuel sloshes.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry about the second post, my mistake.

IF the sender seems good after shake test, follow the instructions in the second link to test the gauge:

4.) To check the gauge operation / movement, in all cases:
a. Make sure the Power to the gauge is not on.
b. Disconnect the black wire to the sending unit, at the gauge end. Note, you may have to cut the wire (you can always re-connect it later). Leave enough wire at the gauge end to work with. Do not cut it too short.
c. With the black wire disconnected, turn the 12 VDC power to the gauge ON.
d. The gauge needle, will:
1. On the American version gauge (240 - 30 ohms), stay at Empty.
2. Ground the black wire (at the gauge end), and the needle will go to Full.

Good Luck!