125HP Force Reed Replacement

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice
The reeds in my 125HP have failed. Therefore I'm replacing them with Boyesen reeds. I've never replaced the reeds on an outboard before, plenty of times on motorcross bikes.

Any tips, suggestions, and/or howto's available? Can you replace them with out pulling the powerhead?

Thanks.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 125HP Force Reed Replacement

Dumb question, perhaps, but how does one determine that their reeds are bad?

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, but that could be a lot of other issues too. How do you zero in on the problem being related to bad reed/reeds? I'd be looking at compression, carbs, fuel delivery, etc., first. Not sure how i'd finally determine... AH HAH! It's the reeds. Do you hear or see backflow thru the carbs?

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, but that could be a lot of other issues too. How do you zero in on the problem being related to bad reed/reeds? I'd be looking at compression, carbs, fuel delivery, etc., first. Not sure how i'd finally determine... AH HAH! It's the reeds. Do you hear or see backflow thru the carbs?
I eliminated everything else so it had to be the reeds and when I took the reeds out I could see some of them weren't fully closed as they should be. Therefore the reeds are toast.

JDP

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK this my be a dumb question. I'm looking at the diagram for replacing the reeds and then scroll down to the parts list. It says quantity required 8. Are there really 8 reeds in a 4 cylinder engine? I thought there was only there was only 4. Is it also a good idea to replace all the reeds at the same time. Or can you just replace the ones that look bad?

MikDee

Banned

Ok, if you look at the diagram, there are 4 reed blocks (hence 4cylinders) 8 individual reeds, and yes, if you are going with different reeds then stock, you must replace them all.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

How are those reed performing? do you notice a difference between the new ones and the originals when they were working?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You do know that factory original reeds on early Force (before Merc changed them) engines are allowed to stand open as much as .010 inch?

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I eliminated everything else so it had to be the reeds and when I took the reeds out I could see some of them weren't fully closed as they should be. Therefore the reeds are toast.

If you already took out the reeds then you know how to get to them and you already have the motor a part.

ski_king

Seaman Apprentice

If you already took out the reeds then you know how to get to them and you already have the motor a part.
The original post was done before I took them out, I figured out how to pull them out.

MikDee

Banned

So, where do you get Boyesen reeds for the Force 125? and how much are they?