My plan. Feasible?

allnicksgone

Cadet
I am 35 years old, single, no kids, and live in a small one bedroom apartment. I love the water, but I know nothing about boats.
My plan is to buy a used 50 footer to live on full time, maybe in the Florida Keys in the winter, maybe somewhere North in the Summer. I have enough saved to do this and be able pay for expenses without working for about a year.

But, my plan is to earn money as soon as I get the boat by chartering it for day trips. At first I would hire a captain to pilot the boat and teach me. After I become comfortable with running it and get the certifications I need, I would pilot it.

I know there are many obstacles, but does this sound do-able?

tommays

Admiral
Re: My plan. Feasible?

IMHP i would try and find work on a boat to see what it is all about :D

Tommays

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've been self-employed entrepreur for 33 years. Sold a few small businesses over the years including a Charter Bus business in California. The buyers for the most part were unaware or oblivious to the hidden work/hardships/heartaches involved with any business. "Running a business always seems so easy, when and how the 'other' guy does it."
I know nothing about Boat Charters, so I can't advice. However, I think you should really get involved with one and learn all the ropes, so to speak. Perhaps starting with a deck hand job. Do alot of research.
Good Luck.

allnicksgone

Cadet

I know getting started will not be easy and I know there will be many problems and lots of hard work. I think hiring an experienced captain as a partner for a while would be the way to get started.

I am not afraid of failing. I would work hard to make it a success, but if it didn't work out, I could still live on the boat and get a regular job, or even sell the boat if I had to.

Right now I just want to know if it is possible to live on the boat you are chartering and make a living out of it.

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you live by yourself and its your 1st boat and dont know anything about boating...a 50 ft boat is not the place to start.

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Even then, a 38 foot would hold you over easily. Even if you just had it for a year. You could just trade it in for somthing bigger.

Fly Rod

Commander

Click onto "Becoming a Charter Captain" and read my last post.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, "liveaboards" tend to get quite cluttered, not the ideal charter boats. No one's gonna pay big bucks to walk into a boat with socks and underwear hanging all over the place. 50' is not a big boat when there's 2 people living on it. You'd be better off with a skiff alongside for flyfishing charters.......

boatsource

Cadet

Depending on the style/layout, a 38 to 50 foot boat is more than adequate for two people to live on and to provide day to overnight charter service.

I worked with a Fishing Charter company and the owner lived on his 36' sport fisher. Of course, you need to be up early to make sure it is clean and tidy before any clients arrive.

As stated, the biggest difficulty is the business aspect. I've known several owner/operator/captains who live this dream but they were not cut out for the business side. If you've never ran your own business - this would be the major consideration.

Also, another consideration is, some people do not do well living in their work place. It'll be very difficult to get away from the business when you live in it.

The best option may be to find an established charter company and see if you can get in to their booking rotation. That way you're not trying to learn many things at once.

Finally, what type of charter are you planning to provide? Fishing, day cruises, overnights? There's a lot to consider with the type of boat and charter focus. Even more so if it is fishing as there's a lot to learn there.

allnicksgone

Cadet

Thank you boatsource for your advice. I agree that the business aspect will be a challenge. That is a good suggestion to get with an established charter company. I will look into that. I have downsized my plans to a boat of 40'-44'.

I plan on providing daytime dive charters for 4-6 people. I have been diving only twice myself. I loved it and want to do it more, learn more, and it would be great to be able to do it full time.

Even though my clients would be certified divers, I would go through extensive diving courses first then explore the areas I would take them to thoroughly. Many charters offer a guide for an extra fee, and I could be the guide on my charter.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The captain has the ultimate responsibility for the boat and passengers. Getting in the water with your diving customers is not a good idea unless another licensed captain remains on board.
I think the business part at this time is the least important part of your idea. You need at least a year of daily boat operation in all reasonable conditions to become proficent enough to be taking paying passenger to sea. The Coast Guard requires at least 365 days of operation before you can even take the test.

allnicksgone

Cadet

The captain has the ultimate responsibility for the boat and passengers. Getting in the water with your diving customers is not a good idea unless another licensed captain remains on board.
I think the business part at this time is the least important part of your idea. You need at least a year of daily boat operation in all reasonable conditions to become proficent enough to be taking paying passenger to sea. The Coast Guard requires at least 365 days of operation before you can even take the test.

Which is why in my original post I stated I would hire a captain until I am proficient.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a young man just returning from Viet-Nam I got a job working around boats. I started to moore them for the people that could afford these big boats but did'nt have a clue why there was a throttle for both motors. I learned how to back a large boat into its slip. Still to this day I can do it with ease. Later in life I started guideing fishing for Salmon and Steelhead in Washington State. The river there are shallow ,very shallow and I needed to learn how to run a 20 foot boat in three inches of water at 40 mph.
Before I went out and paied 20.000.00 for a boat I spent a little going out with other guides and watched how they did it.

You should have no problems doing what you want to do as long as you reserch if there is a market for what your planning, and learn what you need to do with a large boat. U.S.C.G. tests are easy if you know what your doing if you dont learn how to handle a boat you will end up with a 50 foot pleasure craft. And that in itself ain't bad. Good Luck to you.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I have zero experience with this sort of thing, so my idea may have no merit, but I feel compelled to share.

Buy the boat, get decent at operating it and then advertise it in Passage Maker, or some other magazine like that, as charter boat with a crew, but no captain. Make the price very reasonable (such that you basically break even) and attract folks that are preparing to retire and live aboard or folks that have boat experience and just want a cheap vacation. I know I'd jump at a chance to take my family on a cheap week-long boating vacation even if it meant I had to share the boat with it's owner. It would be an easy way to get experience and let someone else pick up the tab for operating expenses.

Not sure if insurance or other legal issues would allow such an arrangement though. You'd have to be pretty thorough in your research.

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wasa just gonna mention the insurance aspect of a charter vessell. That alone will eat what you have saved, not to mention maintenace & repairs on the vessel, buying the boat is the cheap & easy part.. Get in the right location & it would probably work. It would be better to stay in one location year round tho. Most of your money will be from repeat customers & dive shops.

If it's something you really wanna do, go for it.
The worst that will happen is you'll lose your *** financially, but at least you had the gall to try.

allnicksgone

Cadet

Thanks everybody for the sound advice from all and encouragement from a few. I am a couple years away from doing this and I am doing much research and will continue to do so.

I expect one of three outcomes from my plan.

1) Everything goes well and I am able scrape by on my charter income and live on the boat.

2) I am unable to make ends meet, but find a more traditional job and still live on the boat.

3) Nothing works out, I sell the boat, buy a condo or rent an apartment, and back to my current life.

I can live with any of those outcomes. I think later in life I would regret it if I didn't try.

BF

Lieutenant

or

#4) GF becomes wife, and a year or two down the road your duet become a trio. Then reality of providing for a family takes over.

In any event, you've only got one go around so wherever you find yourself, enjoy and savor it. Don't spend your life thinking the grass is always greener... it usually isn't.

allnicksgone

Cadet

or

#4) GF becomes wife, and a year or two down the road your duet become a trio. Then reality of providing for a family takes over.

In any event, you've only got one go around so wherever you find yourself, enjoy and savor it. Don't spend your life thinking the grass is always greener... it usually isn't.

Yes, that is another possibility, but I think #3 covers that.
The grass is green enough where I am now, I just like to explore other pastures.