Water intake on a 9.5 sportwin

nojretlas

Recruit
Were is the intake for the water cooling system? Is it the holes above the cavitation plate? I used a hose connected to the "tong" thing and no water was coming out of the motor. Then I put it in a small bucket and still no water.
I used it today so I know the motor pumps water....is there a themostat?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water intake on a 9.5 sportwin

There should be a strong stream of water shooting out that rubber hose area that connects the powerhead to the engine side cover. Yes, there's a thermostat (top of cyl head) but that wouldn't prevent the water from exiting that hose.

There are two water intakes, the holes you mention and the screen just above the propeller.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The primary water intake is the screened opening just above the propeller. When the motor is running in forward the propeller adds to the flow of water. The smaller opening above the a/v plate provides additional water flow when in neutral or reverse.

If running in a tank, have the water level above the water pump, or at the mid section.

The thermostat is at the top of the cylinder head, contained vertically under the cover with three bolts. It is a 143 degree thermostat. BTW, The Quiksilver one works fine at half the OEM price - MM-75692.

nojretlas

Recruit

I used a home depot bucket to drop the lower unit in, could that not be big enough?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is not big enough. The water pump is in the first bulge above the anti-cavitation plate. That has to be submerged. Even then, there is so much air stirred up in the water in a small container that it may not work.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A cheap plastic trash can will work just fine.