merc problem

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
115 1982 mercury blueband
cleaned all carbs
new plugs
new fuel pump
new gas lines

i changed these coz it was bogging down and she ran fine but now it seems she will pick up if i throttle her really slowly and it will start to bog down but then picks up if i leave the throttle at the point she is stasrting to bog anyone know what this could be WOT seems fine when she is up there
thanks guys n girls

Laddies

Banned
Re: merc problem

It sound like a fuel problem, filter-tank-and pump should show if you pump the fuel bulb while it's acting up but it still sound to me like dirty carbs

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Renny, If the carbs are clean as stated, then it is likely the idle mixture is set too lean. Open the carb idle screw 1/8 turn on the top carb and see if performance improves. If not repeat with mid carb and then bottom carb, as needed until it accelerates smoothly and idles reasonably well.

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the quick answers, i thought it was the mixture so if i`m to understand from reading theses threads i should

1: seat the mixture screws in
2:turn anti clockwise 1 and 1/4 turns on each
3: adjust them buy 1/8 each time in unison

also looking at my carbs to the right hand side there is a a thing that you can turn its about an inch long what is it and how many turns should that be open

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

laddies what is your opinion on what i have to do

Laddies

Banned

If you have not adjusted the carbs you need to. When presetting idle mixture thats all it is enough to start the engine so it maybe adjusted. I start at 1 1/2 turns and work from the top down, you do not adjust all carbs the same am't, each is a differant adjustment on a 6 cyl I go over the adjustments 3 times to give the engine a chance to smooth out as much as possible

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

anyone any idea what the thing to the right of the carbs that you can turn is?????
sorry sound silly but would like to know as its not in the manual

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Renny, Next to the carbs is usually the idle stop, max spark advance stop and adjustments for synchronizing the carbs to the spark advance. Best to leave them alone, unless you are doing a Link and Sync.