Done with plastic zip lock bags . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expidia

Commander
They s*ck at keeping clothes dry. I keep extra clothes when it gets chilly in my live well which I sealed off with silicon since I don't keep fish in it. I just take pictures of the fish I catch and then release them.

Had a thunderstorm here yesterday and water leaked into the open well as I was letting the silicon dry some more. Even though I had the boat cover over the boat.

Anyway water got in there I said to "myself no problem, all is safe and dry in their zip lock bags"

Wrong . . . most everything in each bag was sopping wet!

Anyone know of a store to purchase individual better quality bags that I can keep clothing items dry.

I have a dry sack but it's too big and takes up too much room on the boat. I figured that locker was perfect to keep some extra sweatshirts, gloves tops etc but I need to keep them dry. Any ideas?

Thx

Expidia

Commander
Re: Done with plastic zip lock bags . . .

Yep. That's what I do...

But aren't they one time use. And expensive at that per bag!

I was thinking maybe a store like Bed Bath or Linens and things or Walmart might carry a better type bag for this?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I just did a little test. With glad zipper bags,,ziplock sandwich bags and
Hefty one zip.Put water in and inverted the Glad and ziplock leaked but a really slow drip yours must have been submerged.The Hefty with an actual zipper didn't leak.The Hefty was a one gallon but I would think bigger ones are available.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Maybe Tupperware?

BF

Lieutenant

or a smallish (1 or 2 gallon ?) bucket with a good snap lid... not an ice cream pail (unless you want to replace it often)

Expidia

Commander

I just did a little test. With glad zipper bags,,ziplock sandwich bags and
Hefty one zip.Put water in and inverted the Glad and ziplock leaked but a really slow drip yours must have been submerged.The Hefty with an actual zipper didn't leak.The Hefty was a one gallon but I would think bigger ones are available.

Thx, yes the ones sitting in the puddle of water on the bottom were the soggiest. I also porbably reused a few bags that I had saved from other uses. So some probably had pin holes.

I just figure there has to be a better way.

I just spent $$ on EMS Tech Wick stuff that are breathable and light weight so I don't want these items to rot out in a cheap bag when I keep them in the locker.

ziggy

Admiral

go to a camping type store. sheels has them in my town. get dry bags. they come in 5 gal, 10 gal. lateda. the 5 gal. one is about as big as a lunch box......i used these in my pwc and anything in them stayed dry......

rndn

Commander

Make the seal-a-meal bag larger than needed. Each time you open it you can re-seal the bag several times prior to the bag being too small.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I keep my rain gear in a tupperwear-style container with a tight fitting lid. Never been wet, but then neither has the locker they are stored in.

Expidia

Commander

http://www.seallinegear.com/

Not trying to spam,but,I have used them for years and they haven't failed me yet.
:)

Ya Thx Beerfilter . . . BTW I like your name . . . You know you never really buy beer, you just rent it???? Thx for the link,these bags are just the ticket for sure. Pricey but worth it.

I just checked my Dry Sack that I bought 5 years ago and 3 boats ago Its a Sealine too. It's been slammed around plenty, yet still looks brand new.

The one I use now is a size 40 which is their largest one. Looks like a clear duffel bag.

I did not think of buying 2- 20's until you posted this link. What I'll do is give my Wife one color for her stuff and another color for my stuff.

They run around $20 each at ****'s or EMS in my area. But to protect about $400 of High Tech outerwear they are definitely worth the cost.

These new ones now have one way air valves built in that allow you to seal the bag and press the air out to save much needed space on my small rig. This is why I didn't think of using them as I didn't know about the valve. I could never fit my old round bag through the hatches opening.

I figure if I lay my stuff out sideways in the bag and then press out the air it will work out perfect. Also good if the boats on the trailer outside a motel, I can just grab the two bags to bring in overnight, instead of 12 separate ones as before with the zip locks. . . . sweet!

Be aware for anyone else interested . . . My Wife recently bought a small one for traveling as she puts her toiletries that she can't take on the plane anymore in one of these drysacks and then into her big suitcase, so nothing can leak onto her clothes and ruin her trip.

So I looked them up online and it said ****'s (who didn't have them) and EMS.
But EMS is sneaky. They had another knock off brand from China on the racks that say "Sea to Summit" instead of the "Sea Line" brand that lasted for many years for me. Since it was only $10 she kept it rather then return it.

Expidia

Commander

I keep my rain gear in a tupperwear-style container with a tight fitting lid. Never been wet, but then neither has the locker they are stored in.

Tupper wares a great idea. Air tight yes, but I can't compress it like a plastic bag to save much needed space on board. I just weighed the big dry bag the stuffs temporarily in now and it weighed in at over 13 lbs . . . Yikes!

Crazy weather here. 94 degrees and humid today. Two weeks ago we drove up to a Indian Lake in the NY Adirondacks and it was 53 degrees out at 10AM. Add on a boat cruising speed of 22 mph and the result is COLD, REAL COLD on an open boat with only me having a windshield! After all the Cap'in must be kept warm.

But were ready for a Tsunami now with all these High Tech fabrics that I just went out and bought (and yesterday had to wring them all out, ha ha).

Another 13 lbs . . . no wonder why it takes me so long to get up on plane!!!
I'll have to junk the anchor to lighten the load . . . :eek:)

You would think a fish locker that holds water would keep out water too. It has a rubber seal around the top but when trailering in the rain water seemsto seep in some how.

I guess I'll have to spring for a tight fitting trailering cover now too . . . Oh, when does the spending money end ?????

Expidia

Commander

go to a camping type store. sheels has them in my town. get dry bags. they come in 5 gal, 10 gal. lateda. the 5 gal. one is about as big as a lunch box......i used these in my pwc and anything in them stayed dry......

Thx, these that you mention are what I'm going to use or similar. I saw some on the Cabelas camping site too.

Im going with the Sealine brand as I've had a great experience with the last large one I bought by them.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Sealline bags are fantastic. They come in many sizes and are very durable. I have a bunch of them and they are years old hold up great. I do wilderness trips in the canoe and wet gear is the end of the world so everything gets bagged inside the packs. I even have a small Sealline for my camera and gps etc., I seal it up with a bunch of air in it so it floats if it goes overboard.

http://www.seallinegear.com/dry_bags.asp?Category=DryBags

see_bag_large.jpg

Expidia

Commander

Sealline bags are fantastic. They come in many sizes and are very durable. I have a bunch of them and they are years old hold up great. I do wilderness trips in the canoe and wet gear is the end of the world so everything gets bagged inside the packs. I even have a small Sealline for my camera and gps etc., I seal it up with a bunch of air in it so it floats if it goes overboard.

http://www.seallinegear.com/dry_bags.asp?Category=DryBags

see_bag_large.jpg

Just picked up two #20 Kodiak bags. These have the window and a purge valve to compress the bag easier.

The link you gave me goes out to Sealine's vendors at list prices plus $6.95 shipping. Amazon had them a few $$ cheaper with free shipping over $25.

I checked at iboats and it does not show they carry them, so I went to Amazon.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

When i go float the river in a tube i duble bag my smokes in ziplock bags and they stay dry even when i swim. Its atleast a cheap solution to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.