Toyota Siena AC problem

Kalifornyakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello fellow Iboaters,
I thought I'd post here before I take my van in for repairs. I have a 1999 Toyota Sienna that recently had the AC go bad. The AC never did work well, even when we purchased it in 2005. The dealler said there was nothing wrong, so we figured either he was lying and just wasn't going to do anything, or the AC for that van wasn't very efficient.
A few weeks ago, we noticed a belt sqealing every time we started the van. This got progressively louder and longer. Eventualy, the AC stopped working, and the sqealing stopped at the same time. I assumed the belt broke, and all I needed to do was replace it. When I checked the belt, it was fine. I noticed that if I started the van with the AC off, there was no sqealing. It only sqeals when the AC is turned on. I asked the toyota dealer service guy for an estimate, and he said it could be the AC clutch or compressor, or something else (I forgot what). He said it could be all 3. The quote he gave me was for approx. $1500.
I live in Las Vegas, and have 3 kids, so AC is not optional. But, $1500 is a lot of dough for me to shell out. I just can't believe that the compressor would even be a consideration, considering the sqealing noise it makes. Wouldn't that indicate a clutch, pulley, shaft or something? Anyway, what do you guys think. Is there enough info here to isolate the problem?
Thanks in advance!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Toyota Siena AC problem

You can purchase a brand new AC compressor and clutch or even get a used one off ebay. Replace the unit and find a small garage that will vacuum the lines and install new r134a. You can accomplish the entire job if you do the wrench turning yourself for less than $400.

It sounds like the compressor might be gone.......

Kalifornyakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bob!
I may do that. I'll have to look at a manual, I'm not much of a mechanic. So it does sound like a bad compressor to you?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would suspect that or a bad clutch..... it does not sound good.

Have you tried a walmart r134a refill kit? It just might be starving for the 134a? The kit is less than $20 and it might work. I have a small (tiny leak) in my 2000 Toyota and just refill it with 1 can of 134a and it comes back to blowing cold air but no noises.

Skinnywater

Commander

If the belt is tight it sounds like the compressor is seized based on your description.

If the compressor is seized that presents a greater problem then just replacing it. When a compressor fails internally it comes apart inside and contaminates the system.
Simply replacing the compressor without flushing the system will result in the new compressor being damaged by the debris the old one left behind and other system components failure.

The proper proceedure is to disassemble the system and flush the components, replace the filter/dryer, compressor, PAG oil, o-rings, and of course exchange the R134.
The expansion valve is optional if it isn't plugged, even though I'd replace it for system integrity since it'll be one of the components removed during the flush.
While it's apart make sure the extra effort is made to clean the exterior of the condensor. There is usually a hidden space between the condensor and radiator that is loaded with bugs, leaves, and debris that inhibit AC performance that directly influences a compressor's working load.

No it isn't cheap or easy, however, it'll be more expensive if you try to cut corners. And it will work extremely well and last for years if done right.

bass buster

Seaman

Indeed, Skinnywater nailed it on the head. This is the proper way, and yes, it does sound like the compressor is seized. Thats why your belt only squeals when the AC is turned on.

I'm not real familiar with the Toyota Siena, (I used to work on domestic cars) but is the compressor belt actually the serpentine belt that drives your alternator, steering pump, etc, as well? Or is there a seperate belt for the AC? I'm thinking it probably is a serpentine belt. If it is, I'd seriously get that belt replaced asap, since it was slipping and squealing, it may be pretty worn, and about to break. If the serpentine belt hasn't been replaced in the last couple of years, I would do that first, and don't try to run the AC until you figure out what you are going to do.

I'll bet the compressor alone for your vehicle is at least $400, maybe more.
Best of luck, hope you get it fixed one way or another.

Kalifornyakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the additional info.
I have an update. My wife just got back from an errand, and said the AC was working again. So I guess the compressor hadn't completely seized up but is binding and overheating? I told her not to turn on the AC again till we get it figured out. She's driving my F150, (which has it's problems too, but the AC works)
I agree about the belt, at this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't think I'm capable of doing the work myself, the AC unit doesn't look very accessible to me and I don't know much about auto mechanics. But I still may tackle it myself. Gotta get that manual!
Based on the fact that the AC still works, would you fellas be leaning more to the clutch or still say the compressor? Maybe the refill kit like Bob sugested?
Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Sorry Bassbuster, I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if it's the serpentine or not. It looks like the belt runs 3 pulleys. (I can only see 2 belts) I don't know enough about auto mechanics to tell what it is it's running, but maybe the 3rd pulley is a ballancer? It looks like the other belt is running 3 pulleys also.

Last edited:

Skinnywater

Commander

Then it sounds like the belt isn't adjusted correctly or glazed severely.

It wasn't the compressor clutch since it's proper operation caused the belt to squeal when it was engaged and not to squeal when it was disengaged.

Adding R134 to a low system will make the problem worse if the belt is loose.
Over charging will make the problem worse with a loose or tight belt.

The dirty condensor scenario/poor airflow over the condensor I explained above will cause the belt to slip but not at start-up since the pressures are low and equal with the compressor off.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Sounds as if a high pressure switch is malfunctioning. You guys have been having some super heat out that way. If the high pressure is to high due to the extreme heat outside, the compressor cannot push against that high pressure when you turn it on. The high pressure switch is surpose to keep the clutch from kicking in when the pressure is not equalized.

Simple solution is run a water over the radiator section. This drops the pressure allowing the compressor to pump. More than likely, your condenser coil is clogged with grass, bugs, and other road debris. This alone can cause your problem, or someone may have overcharged the system.

May want to change the belt regardless since it has been slipping.

Good Luck

Kalifornyakid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all,
I have a new project to work on now, so I have to leave the van alone for a week. I'm gonna leave it in the driveway until after the 18th, when I'll have time to deal with it.
Thanks again!