what cause the prop to spin a bush?

deejaycee_2000

Captain
As most of you know, I race inflatables, and I have lost alot of them by spinning a bush ..... and then just get it repaired and move on .... but now what cause this? How can you prevent it? WHy don't they make the prop so it is fixed and don't have a bush at all? ......

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: what cause the prop to spin a bush?

They make them that way for people that use them in a normal capacity. I'm betting your inflatable goes airborn on occasion and the prop leaving and reentering the water on a frequent basis is what's causing the hub to fail. Most racing propellers have solid hubs. I don't know if such a thing is available for yours. Perhaps you can have it pinned?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

not a bad idea .... but why don't they pin all props ..... what harm can it cause if I do pin mine?

Bondo

Staff member

They don't Pin the hubs, or use Solid hubs because that would just Move the Damage from the Prop up into the Gearcase, or the Motor......

Pinning Your's,...... Would do the Same Thing.......

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I can understand that in a sense ..... but what cause me to spin the bush while just running WOT on the open sea, not hitting any rocks, just running WOT and all of a sudden the motor revs like in neutral .... that's it .....

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Maybe you need to switch prop shops? Most folks don't experience continued problems with spun props.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Spinning the hub does not necessarily "begin" immediately before the failure. As was mentioned, you get airborne frequently. As the prop digs in again there is a tremendous load on it. Each strike progressively weakens the bond between the hub and blade area. At some point it simply lets go. That may be at the moment of getting back into the water, when you shift, or simply running wide open.