MAIDEN VOYAGE!!! motorbolts leaking

raven45227

Cadet
:eek: i went out today in our 1973 procraft bass boat with a 135 horse v 4 1975 model. it ran well but we noticed water in the bilge.. and we turned the pump on and it took a little bit to pump out. we dropped anchor and sat to see where it was leaking it did not do bad BUT when we would move it would leak througth the transom bolts where the motor bolts on:eek:, is there a way to fix this and is this safe?? we were on the ohio river with some big boats today and i was worried with this 18 foot bass boat. thanks to all who helped me get it running, td you are the man, but all are good on here thanks!!!:D:D:D Raven

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: MAIDEN VOYAGE!!! motorbolts leaking

it's time to do some serious investigating of your transom. most likely it has been leaking, and you have a rot situation, in the transom, and the stress has loosen the area around the bolts. i have an idea you are in for a transom replacement, either with the wood method, or seacast method. if the transom is still good, remove the bolts and seal with 3m4200.

raven45227

Cadet

thanks once again td. that is what i expected, plus that 135 is heavy i am sure.. is this dangerous? should i no longer take the boat on the water?? you have been awesome td and i would like to say thanks. it really ran well after i did what you told me. awesome motor, but i think this boat has seen its better days:( 35 years old and alot of abuse i would say... how do i check the transom td other than visual?? Raven

Last edited:

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if the transom is not rotten,make sure your using the proper size bolts for the holes.on my nintey i use 1/2 bolts ,insert them into motor and transom then put a washer on inside that has been heavely coated with sealer or your choise ,lock wasker then bolt.ive never had one leak yet.this is all assuming the transom is ok.good luck.