1984 Omc I/o

arty909

Cadet
I have a 17 ft. ski boat with a 3.0 motor, and the alternator belt broke. My repairman tells me he needs to hoist up the engine to replace it, and could take 1-3 hours to do the job. Does this seem right? Thanks, Arty

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 Omc I/o

Ummmmm no! No need to hoist the engine to put a new belt on. Get a new mechanic, sounds like he is taking you for a ride. Sure you're not talking about the starter? If its the belt, 5-15 minute repair tops! Easy to do, do it yourself and save the cash for some beer.

whywhyzed

Banned

You do have to lift (jack) and block the motor to change belts on that motor - it's a 45 minute job -maybe an hour tops, unless your engine is uniquely buried in the hull and hard to access.

Buy 2 belts - tiewrap a spare in behind the motor mount for emergency, or next change

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh thats right, you have the jack screw setup. That does complicate things just a little. You can manage it though. On mine, I have the hydraulic setup, nothing in front of the motor. Pretty simple. Sorry, it's what I thought you had.

DSC00466.jpg

gojayo

Cadet

I replaced mine, but my engine sits soooo low in the compartment that it was truly tough. Getting a small enough jack was my first problem, then physically getting down there to deploy it was another. Seems like I had to pry some mount away just to create enough space (like 5/8") to slip a new belt into the space. And like others wrote, absolutely put a 2nd belt into that space and tie-wrap it so you don't have to do it again. I was in a hurry and only bought one belt....mistake. Like I read on someone's post, Why is it that there's never enough time to do a job right the first time, but always enough time to do it over again when it fails. So true.

If I had a mechanic that charged $50 per hour...I'd be tempted to pay for 3 hours to get this job done for me next time. Every boat is set up differently of course...maybe mine was worse than others.

Thanks guys, you are the greatest!

This is exactly the info I was looking for. I will buy a second alternator belt just in case. Now would you please take a moment to respond to my next issue... there is a huge seal around my outdrive-

DSC01002.JPG

...which the seller had his shop apply a marine grade tough rubber caulking due to the seal starting to show signs of wear. With my tilt and trim, this whole motor moves up and down (weird I know), in addition to the outdrive moving up and down thus causing too much wear on that seal (obsolite design I imagine.) Bottom line- I need to replace this seal for my own piece of mind- if the seal breaks this boat will sink, no? I have had trouble finding this big gasket, but I refuse to give up. The manufacturer is defunct (Avanti Industries, Tennessee). Any suggestions?
Thanks so much-

Arty in Florida

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys, you are the greatest!

This is exactly the info I was looking for. I will buy a second alternator belt just in case. Now would you please take a moment to respond to my next issue... there is a huge seal around my outdrive-

...which the seller had his shop apply a marine grade tough rubber caulking due to the seal starting to show signs of wear. With my tilt and trim, this whole motor moves up and down (weird I know), in addition to the outdrive moving up and down thus causing too much wear on that seal (obsolite design I imagine.) Bottom line- I need to replace this seal for my own piece of mind- if the seal breaks this boat will sink, no? I have had trouble finding this big gasket, but I refuse to give up. The manufacturer is defunct (Avanti Industries, Tennessee). Any suggestions?
Thanks so much-

Arty in Florida

Arty, if you continue to have trouble finding the transom seal call Steve Ryan at Ryans Marine, Portland OR, 503 282 8807. He ships parts all over the country and if they are hard to find, he knows whether or not they can be found. If you call him, tell him Gyro Gearloose told you to call. He does not know me by Boomyal. He is also an incredible source for any information OMC. Just be sure to buy something if you are going to pump him for any information. He gives it freely to paying customers, even if you are not buying something at that moment. Sometimes I will pay a higher price than I might find on ebay, just because he is so free with helpfull information.

BTW, that is a pathetic patch job. If the boot cracks through it will not do a thing. And yes, if it cracks thru, down you go.:eek:

BTW II, next time reduce your picture to about 680 pixels wide so I don't have to scroll so much to see the pic and to read the text.:rolleyes:

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, I thought the caulking patch was bad on mine when I replaced it. I bow to a much worse job. Taking what information you have posted, the Part# for the seal is 909527. Using Google Search 909527 OMC I came up with quite a few places that sell the the Transom Seal. A quick search on ebay came up with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-2...001QQitemZ110146278320QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

You will find as you continue on your adventure that there are plenty of parts available for your Outdrive once you learn where to look. If you do not have a Parts Catalogue and Service Manual for your SPECIFIC MODEL Outdrive go to the following Link and ask for help in getting the Manual and Catalogue you need:

For the Service Manual

http://stores.ebay.com/SEARAYMAN13_...-1985_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ11QQftidZ2QQtZkm

For the Parts Catalogue

http://stores.ebay.com/SEARAYMAN13_...ATALOG_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5QQftidZ2QQtZkm

You will find the Parts Catalogue an invaluable tool for finding parts. Searchng for Part #'s is the way to go. The OEM Service Manual is quite handy when it comes to installing it yourself.

Good Luck on your Adventure!

jontoronto27

Seaman

Oh my god there is no way I would even put that in the water.. What I did was I looked up the cheapest price I could find on the internet.. I printed out the price if the seal with the webpage.. then I went into WestMarine and showed it to them.. They will match any price.. online or not. I paid $85 for mine. That is pure danger dude. If the coast guard did a little looksey at that they wouldn't let you leave the marina lol

whywhyzed

Banned

I wonder why the intermediate is stuck so far out the back of the boat...
Is the engine even fastened to the stringers?
Or is it falling out the back and that's why the boot ripped off...

I bought a 16' Oliver that looked like that a couple years ago - the wife sold it to me while the handy husband was at work because she didn't want her kids out on it.
That hull is buried safely in the landfill now....

KaGee

Admiral

I wonder why the intermediate is stuck so far out the back of the boat...
Is the engine even fastened to the stringers?

Good eye... totally overlooked that one. :eek:

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boomyal and Lyndy... I just wanted to say thanks for all that great info! I copied it and am saving it for future reference. And Boomyal..... yes.. I WILL pay more to guys like the one you mentioned because I appreciate that kind of thing. ;)

Thanks to all. I paid next to nothing for this in April as a second boat, and planned on spending a couple thousand to restore it. I have already logged about 10 hours on it with no trouble, except for the alternator belt. I will buy that transom seal after I confirm it's the right one, and have my local repair professional install it. Everything seems solid 'under the hood', I hope the engine is 'attached to the stringers' if I took another pic and posted it would anyone be able to tell? Where should I point the camera to show this? Thanks again, Arty

whywhyzed

Banned

no - just stick a crowbar under the engine and try prying it up - but sumthin' ain't right the way that intermediate's stuck way out the back- should sit approx. flush with the transom.
The whole 140 HP is driving through the screws that go down into the wood of the boat. If the engine's not secure the prop is going to try to push the engine up between the front seats of the boat....
Boat won't float long in that situation.

1984 Omc I/o (part two-long)

1984 Omc I/o (part two-long)

Greetings Gentlemen-

I called a second technician today and he gave my new (used) boat the once over. He told me that the transom seal would be a tricky, but important job as several of you mentioned. I asked him if I should order the one off ebay as was suggested, and he told me not to since if he doesn't have it in stock he can get it the same day for about that same price. He also mentioned that the reason the alternator belt broke in the first place was because the part of the alternator that the belt touches is rough. Not sure if he wants to replace that part or the alternator itself...
I asked him about the motor looking like it is pushing back through the transom causing excessive wear to the seal, and he didn't see a major problem.
He did tell me that the motor is not bolted down securely though, and that he will have to pull it and re-fabricate a secure foundation- see pic of rusty loose bolts...

DSC01004.JPG

He will tally up the total of the work he needs to do and call me tomorrow. He and his wife (a friend of mine) are leaving for a vacation all next week, so he told me I might not here from him until he gets back.
If this job is less than $2K I will be (somewhat) happy since I don't have much into this boat and heavy duty trailer. What do you suppose my chances are? Here's a pic of the boat itself from the outside so that maybe you'll agree that it's not a total P.O.S....but then again I'm a cadet.

avantiboat.jpg

Thanks to anyone who has already; and will now respond, Arty.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

:redface: It is amazing how nice and sharp alot of boats are on the outside but can look like a slum in the Engine Compartment. Mine Included:redface:

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: 1984 Omc I/o (part two-long)

Greetings Gentlemen-

I asked him about the motor looking like it is pushing back through the transom causing excessive wear to the seal, and he didn't see a major problem.
He did tell me that the motor is not bolted down securely though, and that he will have to pull it and re-fabricate a secure foundation- see pic of rusty loose bolts...

He doesn't think that's major?

weird mechanic.

He doesn't think that's major?

weird mechanic.

Sorry- I meant he didn't see a major problem repairing it. He mentioned that he might fabricate a new base by pouring resin epoxy into the holes and using slightly longer bolts. But, he won't know what exactly to do until he gets down in there.