1989 Mercruiser 4.3 LX I/O missing at full throttle, temp and blowing blower fuse.

bill evans

Cadet
I had 3 seperate issues this last week. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, I have a 1989 Regal Sebring 195 with a Mercruiser 4.3 LX I/O set up.

Brief history, ran 1st 2 days with no issues at all, got nailed with a boatload of rain overnight and then the issues started up. Don't know if all the rain could have had any affects on the following.

1. Ran fine at 1st, they started missing out at full throttle. I changed plugs and couldn't get any other parts such as wires and distributor without ordering so I will order what I need ASAP. Also removed fuel seperator and cleaned it out and added lucas fuel system cleaner. Ran like normal for 3-4 hours and then started missing out again.

2.Temp gauge reading below cold line most of the time?

3.At the end of the last day I started blowing blower fuse?

4.Forgot about this issue that has been happening, I sometimes have to shift into Forward and come back to neutral before it will start. I have tried adjusting shift cable, is there something else I should be looking at or just keep trying to adjust?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Mercruiser 4.3 LX I/O missing at full throttle, temp and blowing blower fuse

1. Ran fine at 1st, they started missing out at full throttle. I changed plugs and couldn't get any other parts such as wires and distributor without ordering so I will order what I need ASAP. Also removed fuel seperator and cleaned it out and added lucas fuel system cleaner. Ran like normal for 3-4 hours and then started missing out again.

Since it ran ok for a while after you drained the filter, you probably have water in the tank that need to be sucked out. Pull your filter and recheck it. the put a new one on, don't just empty them out.

2.Temp gauge reading below cold line most of the time?

Probably need a new thermostat, either the old one is stuck open, or it's missing. But you really need one. If raw water cooled, you should use the 140? stat.

3.At the end of the last day I started blowing blower fuse?
Has nothing to do with the engine problems, it's on a completely different circuit. The blower itself is probably bad.

4.Forgot about this issue that has been happening, I sometimes have to shift into Forward and come back to neutral before it will start. I have tried adjusting shift cable, is there something else I should be looking at or just keep trying to adjust?

Neutral safety switch is out of adjustment or the cable adjustment is off in the throttle shift control.

bill evans

Cadet
Re: 1989 Mercruiser 4.3 LX I/O missing at full throttle, temp and blowing blower fuse

Thanks for your reply Don, as always your advice is well respected and I will follow to the T.

Thanks again, your a true asset to this website. Plan to fix and get back on lake next weekend. Will advise of results!

Take care!

bill evans

Cadet

Ordered and just installed new wires, distributor cap, thermostat, blower and fuel filter. Everything went on with no issues.

Blower running like a champ (thanks Don), but fuel filter was a paper filter instead of the little hardened bowl like the original. Is this ok? Cleaned carb and lines I could get to. What's the best way to drain the fuel tank?

Will fire up tomorrow before heading to the lake to make sure I don't have any water or fuel leaks.

Thanks again!

bill evans

Cadet
UPDATE 1989 Mercruiser 4.3 LX I/O missing at full throttle.

UPDATE 1989 Mercruiser 4.3 LX I/O missing at full throttle.

Ran great for about 4-5 hours and then on the way back in to dock it again starting missing out and full throttle. Idled fine and no problems all throughout no wake zone and docking. I will order a couple extra filters, would an in-line filter help out in addition or cause too much restriction? What is the easiest way to drain the fuel tank. It looks like it is a rust type of substance that is clogging filter. Anyone know any tricks or additives that may help clean tank. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

1989 Regal Sebring 195
4.3 LX Mercruiser I/O
Alpha One with Thunderbolt Ignition

Coors

Captain

You don't have a fuel/water separator? If not you need to get one.

bill evans

Cadet

Will do! Thanks, are they pretty generic for the mercruiser or something I'll need to order?

Thanks again!

Coors

Captain

They should be generic.