Coast Guard out in full force a few days ruined

freddyray21

Commander
Coast Guard was out in full force yesterday doing boat inspections. A few people's day were ruined. It is amazing how many people don't know what you have to have just to be legal on the water. Oh well, we passed with flying colors.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Coast Guard out in full force a few days ruined

well, it's not like they make it easy to get that information.

I'm new to it too, and still finding out things.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It is all available with a bit of research. I did a voluntary inspection at my dock a few weeks ago from our local authorities and passed with flying colours. Got my compliance sticker to put on the side screen and will now be left pretty much alone unless everyone out there has a sticker as well and they are looking to give out tickets. The O.P.P. doing the voluntary dockside checks are generally the ones out on patrol. They even told me that several people refused or avoided the check that day and they will most likely be the ones checked out on the water during the season. I have been approached a couple of times since and given a friendly wave as they went past after seeing my sticker.
There were no tickets being issues that day just help and advice if you did not comply. People will find out at their cost no doubt.

freddyray21

Commander

I think those who did not pass or refused inspection were visited again by the Coast Guard boat out by the no wake buoy. Funny how a Coast Guard boat out there makes everyone mindful of their wake.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think those who did not pass or refused inspection were visited again by the Coast Guard boat out by the no wake buoy. Funny how a Coast Guard boat out there makes everyone mindful of their wake.
They were left pretty much alone that day but their registration numbers were noted for future reference by the authorities.

rndn

Commander

Not being easy to find is no excuse for not having the proper equipment. In my state it is available at the DMV when registering boats. Also on numerous web sites including the USCG.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

i did my safety check this weekend. All I was missing was a throwable flotation device and my horn was going waeak. sort of sounded liek someone was strangling it
Rob

woodrat

Ensign

I got inspected out on the water earlier this spring. Would have gotten my little sticker except the registration was in the dry bag with all the charts......on the other boat.

I have a wimpy horn too, but i bought one of those little air horns and threw it in the waterproof box with all the flares, and that part I passed with flying colors.

CATransplant

Admiral

I found a boat horn that makes sense. It's the Attwood Bellow, and it doesn't need any compressed air or electricity. About $15, and it's the loudest darn thing I ever heard. You just blow on it and it does what its name says. It BELLOWS!

266416_d.jpg

craigvalk

Seaman

It is all available with a bit of research. I did a voluntary inspection at my dock a few weeks ago from our local authorities and passed with flying colours. Got my compliance sticker to put on the side screen and will now be left pretty much alone unless everyone out there has a sticker as well and they are looking to give out tickets. The O.P.P. doing the voluntary dockside checks are generally the ones out on patrol. They even told me that several people refused or avoided the check that day and they will most likely be the ones checked out on the water during the season. I have been approached a couple of times since and given a friendly wave as they went past after seeing my sticker.
There were no tickets being issues that day just help and advice if you did not comply. People will find out at their cost no doubt.

We have the NH Marine Patrol out on our lake from time to time. I had heard all sorts of stories about people being hassled. Wasn't buying it. I mean, if you are a stupid boater you are asking to get fined anyway.
I had just gotten a new(er) boat, and it was my first weekend out in the spring. Saw the Marine Patrol guys on the water... drove right over and told 'em I had a new boat, could they give me a "once over" on my safety equipment, as I wanted to have things correct. They were happy to oblige, very pleasant. They suggested I replace my fire extinguisher, and that was it.
Seen em lots of times since, and never been bothered, they always wave to me.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen the Coasties only a few times on my stretch of lake/river.
More typically,it is TWRA that will give you the white glove.

I got no worries,myself.
While the ramps are all on the big water,they are all fairly close to extensive small tributaries.
They are far too small and treacherous for most "wakemakers" to bother with.
I take my little rig far up the smaller rivers,where State and Federal agencies fear to tread. Budgets are thin,and NONE of them are going to risk thier lower unit,or,punching thier hull,to MAYBE write a few tickets.
The waterfleas also avoid these timber choked regions,as do the skiers and wakeboarders.

No one here but us fisherman,some kids and thier rope swings,and,the occasional canoe/kayak,maybe a tuber or three.
Lots of great fishing,in solitude,and,you can usually be in the shade.
The upper reaches also have trout,but your chances are best in the early spring/late fall.

Paradise?
Almost,just needs a beer spring...:D

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They were left pretty much alone that day but their registration numbers were noted for future reference by the authorities.

I believe this to be true, but I don't understand how it can be legal.

I also don't understand why a water cop has the right to pull you over anytime he would like just to give you a "courtesy safety inspection". Could you imagine if a traffic cop pulled you over just because he wanted to check the air pressure in your tires ?

Why don't the rules of probable cause apply to boaters ? Our constitution is supposed to protect us from unreasonable search and seizure, I consider allowing a water cop to wave me over and hassle me anytime he feels like it to be unreasonable.

Hell, last year my boat WAS DOCKED and a water cop walked up and wanted to give me a "courtesy safety inspection".

I've had so many "courtesy safety inspections" that I have resorted to telling the water cops that I'll produce all the required safety items by memory.

I'll probably upset some people here, but I believe in personal responsibilty, and quite frankly I'm damn tired of being pulled over for a "courtesy safety inspection" every time a water cop has a whim to mess with me.

I've been hassled many times by water cops, I've never ever been helped by them. They are a menace on the water.

I continue to travel farther and farther away from populated areas, as much to get away from water cops as from other boaters.

rndn

Commander

Don't hold back Mercguy, how do you really feel about it?

freddyray21

Commander

other than at the ramp the other weekend I've never been pulled over or hassled. Around here the only ones who get pulled over as the ones doing something stupid.

chaparral442

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I work with a guy who is an AUX CG - he is going to do my inspection for me.

In Louisiana the main focus is drinking and driving- almost worse than being on the highway-- and if you get a DUI it goes on your driving record for you auto

woodrat

Ensign

I've been hassled many times by water cops, I've never ever been helped by them. They are a menace on the water.

speaking from the mouth of the Columbia River and the Puget Sound region:

the coast guard has to risk their lives to come to your aid if you get yourself into some stupid or accidentally dangerous situation. If they want to give me a courtesy safety inspection every time I go out on the water, that is sure fine with me. It is not hard to pass, and actually around here, once you pass they will give you a sticker for your boat that is good for the year and no more inspections. In this area, the CG has the power to close the bar to all vessels under a certain size and if you are headed out over an unrestricted bar, they can still stop you for inspection and send you back inside if you don't pass.

To compare what the CG does to traffic cops isn't even close. I don't whether mercguy is talking about CG or some water police force, but I would sure hope he's not dissing the CG like that. They don't have an easy job to do.

I HAVE been rescued by the CG. They saved my boat, which I probably would have lost without them. I hope you never need them, mercguy. It was not a fun day and would have been much, much worse without the CG.

CATransplant

Admiral

I'm with you. I've been safety checked, too, and never mind it. I actually have more equipment on my little 12' aluminum boat than I'm required to have, and both the CG and local boat cops have always been very nice.

Some folks, I think, just have a problem with anyone in authority doing anything that involves them. It's too bad, since those folks may be the ones who show up and save your life.

I have a neighbor who is always complaining about the lake police. Every time he goes out, it seems, they "bother" him.

Well, he's an idiot. I won't even get on a boat with him. He always has a cooler of beer in the boat, and usually quite a good deal of it inside him. He ignores wake-free zones. He thinks it's amusing to make a big wake near small boats. It's no wonder he attracts the attention of the lake patrol.

All of the ones I have met have been really pleasant. Game wardens and Conservation Officers, too. I had one come alongside me when I was fishing just a couple of weeks ago. He asked me how the fishing had been, and I gave him a little report. He asked me where the fish were I had caught, and I told him that I'm 100% catch and release. I showed him my license. He wished me luck and left. Not much different from chatting with another fisherman, really, except for the license thing.

I'm sure he'll remember me and my ugly little boat, and will just wave from now on.

Aquahound

Cadet

I think this may be a little extreme. But, you are entitled to your opinion, granted.

Listen, I spent 11 years in the USCG and worked a short period as a Marine Deputy with the Sheriff's Office in the Keys. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will answer to the best of my ability.

Truth is, probable cause is not needed for a vessel stop. It's always been that way. And until the voting public lobbies for a change, it will remain that way. What a lot of people fail to remember is that boating does not require a license (in most places). Also, becoming disabled or having a mishap on a boat is only the beginning of trouble. You can't just walk away like on a street. You can drive a boat at a younger age, and alcohol is permitted on board....even while driving. So as long as the rules for boating ARE so relaxed, the random inspections are not going to go away. Personally, I think it's a small price to pay.

redfury

Commander

It's better to see them out doing their job than to NEVER see them. The only time I've ever actually seen a water patrol boat ( DNR ) was the one time I went to a busy chain of lakes on fishing opener weekend.

The only other time was a chance inspection at a privately owned launch ( the guy charged 5 bucks to launch your boat at his place )

You'd think you would find more patrols on the lakes in Minnesota....maybe they are all hanging out at lake Minnetonka and Mille Lacs and have enough to deal with there.