Mercury 9.9 trouble

WVChad

Recruit
I just got a mercury 9.9 thats about 6 years old. The motor runs fine after its primed with the hand primer in the middle of the fuel line, but after about a minute the moter dies as if its not getting fuel. It startes fine again after you use the fuel line hand primer again. The moter runs fine if you sit there and every minute or so you pump the primer bulb. This is my first boat motor. and i'm hoping for a easy fix anyone know of any?

Lundman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 9.9 trouble

Real quickly,I will tell you of a similar experience I had with a 15 hp Mercury
I had,and from the way you describe the problem you are having,you could very well have a pick-up tube in the tank that is either loose or broke and
could be causing the motor to suck in air only and die once you give it gas.
You say the motor is only six years old,...well, have that tank checked out
if it is the same age as the motor. If that is not the trouble,check out your
primer bulb on the fuel hose. If it's defective,it will not allow fuel to get to the
motor. I need to ask this; Is your motor a two stroke or a four stroke? I hope
I have given you some insight as to what I think it might be. My motor acted the same as yours is. I would check the tank out first,and then if that is not the trouble,then I would
find the primer bulb to be the culprit as far as an easy fix goes.

Last edited:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Make sure tank vent is open. Check for cracks in fuel ine and especially primer bulb. Rebuild fuel pump.

WVChad

Recruit

Thankss for the replys, its a 2 stroke, and the vent is open, i have replaced the the fuel line and primer bulb already and this seemed to help a little. The motor runs fine as long as you sit there and pump the primer bulb every minute or so. It'll start a run smooth, even under full throttle the motor runs great for about a minute then you have to pump the primer bulb or it'll die, just like it runs out of gas.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't mention checking the pick up tube inside the fuel tank. If it is cracked and the fuel level is lower than the crack it will suck air. Also check where it hooks up to the fitting on the tank. Good luck.