I beached my boat...

eeboater

Commander
Well, I beached my boat for the first time last weekend... on purpose of course!! :D It was quite fun -- something I've never done before because my boat sits really low in the water. I have never been presented with an opportunity to approach a beach, that can handle my draft.

I ended up getting my St. Bernard out of the boat and into the water. Needless to say, Bernie's are designed for water in the frozen state... not the liquid!

All in all - was good fun. Now I have to find some more sandbars!

Sean

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: I beached my boat...

Sean.... lower unit + sand = possible cooling problems like pumping sand through the cooling system. :eek: I would not be so happy to find a sandbar!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

A planned beaching is better than an unplanned one! Every time I go to beach, I always manage to find the rocks in the sand. I poked a hole in my ole 20'ter doing that. I always anchor out from now on. Keep in mind double E that each time you do that, your sanding off part of your finish.

rwise

Captain

mines luminum and I hit the sand bars often! nothing like a private place to go skinny di,,,,,,,I mean to stop and swim:rolleyes::D:cool:

bekosh

Lieutenant

Beach/Sandbar parties are great!:D
Just last weekend we overnighted at "Nipple Beach";) on the Wolf river. 110 mile round trip by water from Fond du lac, but great fun.
On the way up we stopped at a sand bar on Lake Poygan called "Weed Beds" and hung out for a couple of hours. Rather than beaching, you anchor in about 3ft of water and just wade around by the boats.

SSMayfloat is right. It does wear on the finish. If you plan on beaching often, consider a Keelguard to protect the hull. I'm going to add one once I get a couple of other projects done.

Attachments

• Picture403.jpg
    Picture403.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture391.jpg
    Picture391.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0

SoulWinner

Commander

Beaching boats is what folks do around in this neck of the woods. I guess we're all just inbred screw-tards. Now why is it that people can't do things differently without being wrong about it? Why are liberals on this forum so insecure in their manhood?

Beaching is great for getting in and out of the boat, and the dogs can get in and out as they please with the boat beached. If you beach on the river you don't have to worry about the tide, but beach in the bay or gulf and the tide can go out and leave your boat stuck until the water comes back. Or the the tide can come in and un-beach your boat, so always toss an anchor on the beach/sand bar so the boat won't float away (BTDT).

After a while you will become expert at beaching in different depths, killing & raising the engine at the right time, etc. And don't worry, no matter what you post here, even if you discover the cure for cancer, the Marxists here will give you crap.

TNT

Seaman Apprentice

Sean.... lower unit + sand = possible cooling problems like pumping sand through the cooling system. :eek: I would not be so happy to find a sandbar!

Uh. Yeah. Let's just say you do hit a sand bar...unintentionally....how would you clean out the cooling system if that happens?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Uh. Yeah. Let's just say you do hit a sand bar...unintentionally....how would you clean out the cooling system if that happens?

HMMMMMM.........
So you are asking how to remove sand from your lower unit???????:eek: :rolleyes:

TNT

Seaman Apprentice

HMMMMMM.........
So you are asking how to remove sand from your lower unit???????:eek: :rolleyes:

No...but since the topic came up...I'd like to be prepared. What are the telltale signs?

Although I have gotten stuck in the sand. Then came some hot young studs to push me out. Maybe I did that on purpose? :cool::D

bekosh

Lieutenant

The only nipples I saw in your photo were some pasty white fat guy.... :(
Yup. That would be me.:mad::p:D
It doesn't matter how much time I spend in the sun, I can't seem to get a good tan. :( And burgers, brats & beers play havoc with the figure.;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Yup. That would be me.:mad::p:D

We must be twins!

Edit: My wife is from Minnesota and she has introduced me to the wonderful world of brats... In return I introduced her to the woderful world of Hatch green chiles. Now there is a combo on a bun....

Last edited:

Modified

Seaman Apprentice

No...but since the topic came up...I'd like to be prepared. What are the telltale signs?

Although I have gotten stuck in the sand. Then came some hot young studs to push me out. Maybe I did that on purpose? :cool::D

Oh the irony!!!

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Beaching boats is what folks do around in this neck of the woods. I guess we're all just inbred screw-tards. Now why is it that people can't do things differently without being wrong about it? Why are liberals on this forum so insecure in their manhood?

Well I don't know about all that...as far as I'm concerned, someone else's hull is their hull and they can run it up on the rocks for all I really care: to each their own :). However, to discuss beaching boats and make no mention of the wear on the keel is a disservice to someone new to doing it and asking about it. For several years I sailed my Hobie Cat from Folly Beach, stored it right on the beach, and beached it at least 3 times every single time I took it out. I would keep it at home during the winter, and every March I would re-glass the keels on both hulls. Roughly 3/8-1/2" would come off each year in about a 2' length on each hull. I always was careful to beach it easy, too (and it's light). The hull maintenance never bothered me (part of Cat sailing) - flip it upside-down and have at it. Not so easy on a BR though...Anyway, did someone say nipple?