200 gt johnson flat bulb

stantheman

Cadet
I have a 200 gt johnson 1987 , I have to pump the fuel bulb every time i want to start the motor. Even if I just stop for 2 or 3 minets.If I dont pump it up It wont start.Sometimes I pump it and it still dies when I give it the gas and I have to repump it.Runs good once its on plane. Also starts surging at top end untill it dies. I have a new non oiling VRO I mix in the tank. All 6 carbs have been rebuilt ( did not replace floats). New fuel line and bulb, There are no fuel leaks. new plugs installed,compression is good, runs cool, This problem has stumped some good mechanics encluding my self. am concedering putting a pump in place of the bulb. Hope you can help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 200 gt johnson flat bulb

there is a leak some where, because the gas is siphoning back to the tank. if there weren't a leak the vacuum in the hose would keep the gas to the motor. the bulb does not stay hard when the engine is running. a float needle may not be seating all the way. anti siphon valve on the tank.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Run off a separate tank and see what happens. That isolates the problem to engine or fuel tank/lines. DO NOT replace the primer bulb with an electric pump. The engine does not have the capability of shutting down an electric pump if the engine dies which would allow the pump to fill the engine with fuel and the potential for a horrible explosiion/fire. Surging at the top end is typical of a fuel restriction between the primer bulb and the pickup in the tank. If squeezing the bulb allows the engine to pick up (even momentarily) that points to restriction or weak fuel pump so you need to really examine the fuel system more closely -- not redesign it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

transferred from duplicate post:

jtexas
Admiral

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you get the BRP brand bulb - the aftermarket brands don't have a good reputation.

Replace the fittings on the tank and on the engine.
"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

jtexas
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jtexas
Find all posts by jtexas
Add jtexas to Your Buddy List

#3 Today, 12:44 PM
fireman57
Lieutenant Commander

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jtexas is spot on. Sounds like you are pulling air from a bad fitting in an aftermarket line. If you know someone who has another tank try it and see if that fixes your problem.

stantheman

Cadet

thanks guys im going to try a portable tank first. Ill let you know it turns out. stan