How often should the impeller be replaced???

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put roughly 120 hours on my motor mostly trolling every year... when do I replace it w a new one???

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: How often should the impeller be replaced???

I do mine every 2 years no matter what the hours as it deteriorates with time.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The answer to this question solicits probably one of the most subjective answers of anything except what kind of oil to put in your car/truck. Everyone has an opinion, usually based upon experience, sometimes not, Or maybe just pure conjecture, just as they have a defication orfice. Grin.

We all operate under different circumstances with different equipment. What works for you won't necessarily work for me. What makes me feel good, doesn't necessarily matter to you....kind of thing.

I have been boating for 50 years and never changed an impeller annually and never removed one that had any damage to it other than having a "set" in the blades from sitting in the cramped part of the rotation cycle for too long. I never had an engine overheat due to an impeller. I never was stranded due to an impeller. Never had a blade or parts break off.

I don't change them unless I know I did something, obtained a used engine of unknown origin, or just had nothing else to do. I usually spin my engine for a few seconds if I don't run it for more than a week just to keep the rings and bearings free and to reposition the impeller.

When I was a kid, I had a 10 hp Scott Atwater, that I repeatedly ran out of the water for as long as 5 minutes (I didn't know any better). Had the engine for 10ish years and never changed the impeller and never had a problem.

Had a '72 Johnny 125 and an '89 115 Merc (both for 7 years (each at different times) and never had a temp problem and never changed the impellers.....bought both new. Son-in-law now has the Merc and hasn't changed the impeller cause it is working just fine.

If you have your pee tube hooked up properly, it will tell you if the impeller is providing the necessary water to the engine. Nowadays engines have overtemp alarms that warn you of problems.

If your water pump fails, you can limp back to the dock if you have to. Just takes a little while. It's not a life and death thing.

Butttttttt I don't fish 50 miles offshore. Gotta factor that into your decision.

You be the judge.

Mark

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Mark has some very valid points. My Dad never changed his ever on his 6hp Evinrude (1960's) and used it right up to the mid 90's. No problem and no issues. Changed the plugs every few years and the fuel pump twice. It pushed his little sailing cruiser around for 25 + years and always got us home. My point of every 2 years is simply for peace of mind. I know it should be in good shape. Same as the thermostats....dont know if my Dads had any but he never changed them and it was always run in salt water off the coast of England and Wales. I certainly do not disagree with Mark but do what I do for peace of mind, especialy if my family are out there without me which happens on occasion.
Great post Mark.

iwombat

Captain

I change mine every couple of years. Then again, I fish in the chuck with big tides and even scarier rocks. Engine failure is not an option, and I make sure I'm on top of anything preventable. Depending on the year, it's part of the spring maintenance routine.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

you obviously didn't see my (one of too many) posts 2 days ago.

My brother in law is fighting with his right now.

1976 55 evinr. his dad owned it before him, never changed the impeller, this past week it went bad and now the splines are frozen on the shaft and he can't get the lower unit to break free and drop down.

I guess for that reason alone, drop the lower occasionally, check or replace the impeller, antisieze the shaft.

it's not that difficult and it may save your motor.

if my brother inlaw can't get it broke free, it won't make 5 min in the water without the new impeller, and the money saved over all the years not doing it won't come close to buying a new motor

1648Grumman

Cadet

Hey for what it's worth, I change mine every two years or when I see a noticeable drop in the tell tale output. I run in shallow sandy lakes, canals and rivers. I can tell you sand will ware on an impeller. But I also agree with the others, do what ever gives you peace of mind.:cool:
Chris

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not disputing Texasmark, but he has to be one of the lukiest men alive. He mentions some of the most troublesome motors I know of, and he hasn't had any problems. I can't begin to count how many late '60s-early '70s OMC motors I have seen where the impeller hub spun loose and cooked the powerhead before it even had time to set the horn off. A bunch of the old Mercs had stainless liners in aluminum housings and electrolysis salt corrosion between the parts collapsed the liner and mashed the impeller. I don't know which Scott-Atwater he had, but the Bail-a-matic ones were the most notorious motors I know of for sorry water pumps. Except for that el-cheapo thing in Eskas and Clintons.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Ken.

F-R it was the Bail-a-matic type decked out in gold and green.

I guess I have been lucky. All the engines were honeys other than the '75, 70 Rude that I bought used and had a stat freeze shut at WOT apparently it had no bypass valve.

I agree on breaking things loose once in awhile. Makes sense.

I run 99% in fresh water and I don't churn up the bottom,so that may be part of it.

The other thing I learned, over the years, that you can mess with something too much sometimes and create problems. I quit doing that years ago and my headaches decreased significantly.

Enjoyed the chat.

Mark

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Quote: The other thing I learned, over the years, that you can mess with something too much sometimes and create problems.

Amen to that.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen impeller blade ends break off and can then plug up a water passage. Also have seen impellers worn to the point the blades are thin and wont pump at all. I like to rotate my motors a little each month while in storage and through the winter so the impeller doesn't take a set. Also, DON'T EVER ROTATE YOUR MOTOR BACKWARDS! No more than impellers cost, it's just good insurance to change them out from time to time and clean things out. The corrosion and keeping the lower unit coming off easily is a valid concern.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I have seen impeller blade ends break off and can then plug up a water passage. Also have seen impellers worn to the point the blades are thin and wont pump at all. I like to rotate my motors a little each month while in storage and through the winter so the impeller doesn't take a set. Also, DON'T EVER ROTATE YOUR MOTOR BACKWARDS! No more than impellers cost, it's just good insurance to change them out from time to time and clean things out. The corrosion and keeping the lower unit coming off easily is a valid concern.

Valid point here on backwards run. If for any reason the motor has been turn backwards, an old impeller will probably be toast..

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have asked this question to many fisherman whom know me and how much I fish throughout the year. Like the replies in this forum everyone seems to have a different answer depending on thier experiances... but a few things seem to surface time and time again. I thank u all 4 the time taken to share ur thoughts... It helped alot!!! Good fishing fellas!!!

jurgenscraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good Morning all.
my 225 vro s see plenty of sea water and as a precautionary action I change my water pump impellors every year during the major service that the motors undergo. thermostats are removed and checked for correct opperation and are replaced every 2 years no matter what, I do have a good selection of used water pump impellors but I would never use them on a motor that goes out 15 nautical miles out to sea.I also flush my motors with a anti salt agent after flushing with clean fresh water.( SALT-AWAY)
my motors are niw 15 years old and still going strong,
I firmly believe in flushing motors after use no matter if they were run in "fresh" or sea water.
Kind regards William Wright.

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Bill I have a question... If u ran in fresh water what would u flush with???

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

p.s. Bill is that a starcraft??? If so what model and year??? SHE"S a nice one!!!:cool: