35hp evinrude on 15' am I doomed?

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 35hp evinrude on 15' am I doomed?

The rev was not under load. It was just a quick throttle up with the muffs on to see if the carb would spit and sputter, which it didn't.

It seems like the boat won't get out of the hole and up on plane. I'm thinking a new prop would greatly help. There is no other signs that the motor is running weak or out of tuning.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a portable tach that I could use to check this engine on a little more precise level?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

You don't torque the propnut on..just snug it down till you can get the cotter pin in the hole. It doesn't sound like a hub slipping to me..when I had that happen the motor tached wayyyy up..like it was full blast in nuetral. See if your prop salesman will let you try a couple different used props of 12-13 pitch and see what happens.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to get a new prop today or tomorrow. Snugging the nut is that finger snugging with a wrench?

Any other input on what pitch I should use?

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can't wait to get this thing running right. This is my first boat.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

I'd use a wrench. Make sure you get the washers on correctly.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe your motor tilt is off a notch, I was plowing bad untill I tilted the motor out 2 notches.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll try that once I get the new prop. Thanks.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a 10 x 13 prop on there, it's probably too much prop. You should be looking more for a 10 x 10 or 10 x 11.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It Planed! I went out and got a 10.5 by 11 to put on my boat and went to a smaller inland lake near me. It jumped right out of the hole and ran smoothly on plane. Woohoo!

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The engine revs were where they were supposed to be, and those new plugs I got helped with the pep. Thanks everyone for the help.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another note... I may go back and get a different pitch down the road to try it out, but as I read in another post. Boats are spendy. I guess I got lucky with my 500 dollar boat. Once again thanks.

BF

Lieutenant

Glad to hear that things are going better. You still might want to get a tach so that you can check the rpm's at WOT. If 11" is on the shallow side, you could over-rev the engine when you run WOT with a light load in the boat. As said earlier, 12 or 13" could be the optimal pitch (?), in which case the boat might perform even better - especially at the top end. If you normally have a heavier load of stuff and people in the boat, the 11 might be OK.

I don't have tiny tach myself, but they'd sure be handy for this.

Congrat's on stickin' with it.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks.

I always have this boat loaded with at least 2 decent size adults, and all the fishing gear to go with it. I might get a 12 pitch to try, but right now the wife says I have to finish the house addition before I can spend any more on the boat. Go figure.

CATransplant

Admiral

Good deal. Sounds like you're really boating now.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just double checking.

The engine says 5000-6000 rpm optimal range. I read that 5000 is the number to keep it at optimal horsepower. What would be the redline on this engine that I wouldn't want to pass. Is it 6000 or is 6000 even pushing it?

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've got a service manual and tiny tach on the way. I'm going to run the engine a little conservatively until I get the right tools to check it out.