trim/tilt question on omc stringer

chucky112233

Seaman Apprentice
O.k eveyone has been really helpfull still trying to figure out my other thread on my "where is the hole for the wire question"under omc stringer help but another question. I have been reading that the front motor mounts should be a hydraulic ram to lift or lower the entire unit for trimming, my boat had none,solid fixed rubber mounts..Is my boat due to size not have this option? its a 24 ft fiberform 350 cid engine.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: trim/tilt question on omc stringer

It was optional, but not due to size, just $ . . . You should be able to manually adjust the trim as the mounts should be a threaded screw type deal that allows you to go up and down. This allows you to make a "fixed" adjustment that cannot be changed while underway. Tilt is really either up or down. Pictures?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

. . . You should be able to manually adjust the trim as the mounts should be a threaded screw type deal that allows you to go up and down. This allows you to make a "fixed" adjustment that cannot be changed while underway...

Unless you've seen something I haven't QC, I've never seen a manually adjusted trim system on a stringer. You either have the electro-hydraulic system with a front bracket mounted to the timing chain cover or you have the four mount feet. (two mid engine and two off the intermediate housing. In the latter case, the only adjustment is with washers between the mount brackets and the feet.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Unless you've seen something I haven't QC, I've never seen a manually adjusted trim system on a stringer.
Well then it's only on the 2.5 and 3.0 4 cylinder products My apologies if I have confused this, but the four bangers have a jack screw built into the front mount. Loosen jam nut, adjust main nut, front of engine goes up and down . . . Washers would work too I suppose as long as the rear (center) mounts allow movement. Looking for drawing or sumpin' . . .

If I had a non-power trim stringer, I would add helm controlled trim tabs, and adjust the angle of the mounts to the best high speed trim angle (with washers or whatever). I would then use the tabs (SmartTabs would work for this as well) for decent hole shot.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well then it's only on the 2.5 and 3.0 4 cylinder products My apologies if I have confused this, but the four bangers have a jack screw built into the front mount. Loosen jam nut, adjust main nut, front of engine goes up and down . . . Washers would work too I suppose as long as the rear (center) mounts allow movement. Looking for drawing or sumpin' . . .

Well QC, I stand corrected then as well. It's just that I don't mess around with those puny little engines.:p

Actually I don't know why they wouldn't have made that front mount universal on V8's as well. They already had the timing cover mounted bracket for the power units, seems they could just as well stuck a manual screw jack in it to give some flexibility. It is no mean feat to undo those clawfoot thru bolts, pry up the engine and slide a big slotted washer in between.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It is no mean feat to undo those clawfoot thru bolts, pry up the engine and slide a big slotted washer in between.
Roger 'dat . . .

KaGee

Admiral

I'll throw another one at you Boomer... I have two hydraulic rams as front motor mounts. :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'll throw another one at you Boomer... I have two hydraulic rams as front motor mounts. :D

I guess that makes me a real OMC neophyte. Howza 'bout a piture? Undoubtedly my esperiance is in the pre '80's Veeeeeeeeeeeeee8 realm, but I am always willing to learn 'cause I am a commited OMC guy, thru and thru.:D