1990 18' phantom 150hp johnson

this is the first time this has happened, the primer bulb is getting sucked flat. I know it is not venting but, my question is, is the vent for that right below the gas fill cap on the side of the boat and if so how do I go about taking it off or clearing it?

rndn

Commander
Re: 1990 18' phantom 150hp johnson

You could have a kink in your fuel line or a clog somewhere. The only open vent is right near the fuel cap. It should unscrew or unsnap. Be careful of any tools that could creat a spark and no electric screwdriver or drill. Hand tools only and make sure you're grounded.

Thanks, everything is clear up there. I bought a replacement primer bulb, do you think they go bad often?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A primer bulb that gets sucked flat can be due to a restiction between the bulb and the pickup in the tank. A bad primer bulb can cause that but I would bet it's not the cause. To prove or disprove a venting problem, run with the gas cap open (careful so you don't take on any water). If it runs normally, it's a venting problem. Mud daubers like to plug up things. If it still sucks flat, you have a choice. Replace the bulb, or pull the tank pickup and clean it. If you have water separating fuel filter before the bulb, it may be due for filter replacement.

rndn

Commander

At no time would I ever suggest to run a boat on open water with the gas cap off.

A primer bulb that gets sucked flat can be due to a restiction between the bulb and the pickup in the tank. A bad primer bulb can cause that but I would bet it's not the cause. To prove or disprove a venting problem, run with the gas cap open (careful so you don't take on any water). If it runs normally, it's a venting problem. Mud daubers like to plug up things. If it still sucks flat, you have a choice. Replace the bulb, or pull the tank pickup and clean it. If you have water separating fuel filter before the bulb, it may be due for filter replacement.

Ya, I do have a water seperating filter and the inside seal expanded and will not fit in its spot anymore. Cool, I will go out and buy a new one and give it a try. Sure do appreciate the help. Also thanks to everyones input, I really appreciate it. I have no one really to ask this kind of stuff to. Thanks