oil pressure and fuel pump?

hn2704

Seaman Apprentice
I am rebuilding my engine and have no oil pressure. How do I check the oil sensor to make sure it's not broken? I have no oil leak. My V8 GMC 5.7L has an upgraded electric fuel pump and now there's a hole on the engine block where the original mechanical pump was . Do I need to plug it. Will it effect the oil pressure?
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: oil pressure and fuel pump?

Any auto parts store has a blockoff plate for the old mechanical fuel pump. It does need covered to keep dirt out and oil in. But it DOES NOT affect oil pressure.

When you rebuilt the engine, did you put the coupler and shaft extenion on the oil pump?

PS: Get a mechanical gauge to verify your oil pressure before you worry about an electrical problem with the sender. May save you an engine.

hn2704

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response. I couldn't believe that it was because of the ignition timing. My ignition timing was way off. When I got it right, the oil pressure was OK. Sounds weird?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ignition timing has absolutely nothing to do with the oil pressure or the sender. No matter how much you would like to believe it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the response. I couldn't believe that it was because of the ignition timing. My ignition timing was way off. When I got it right, the oil pressure was OK. Sounds weird?

????????????

hn2704

Seaman Apprentice

That was why i thought it was weird. But I did not do anything else beside adjust the timing. May be the oil sender needs to be replaced.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

If you just rebuilt the engine, the pump would need a few revolutions to prime itself and the oil filter and build up pressure? I don't know how long you ran it before pressure built up so this is just an idea!! As Don said, ignition has nothing to do with oil pressure, so it's just coincedence that changing the ignition caused the pressure to increase.

If you fitted a new oil filter and it was dry (not recomended on a new engine, always pour new oil into the filter before fitting to reduce the oil system priming time) it would take a few seconds for the oil pump to fill the filter and the gauge to start and show pressure.

Gary

Coors

Captain

Perhaps the distributor was not fully seated (Timing issue), and was not turning the oil pump?