1980 Merc V150 power surge and low rpm at WOT

glastron1980

Recruit
O.K. here we go. I just recently purchaced an 18ft. glastron f&S with a 1980 (same year as boat) merc v150. When I bought the boat it was inspected by a local boat shop who told me that it needed a switch box. I went ahead and replaced them both and off i went to the lake. The first 3 times I had it on the water it ran approx 54mph @ 4900-5000 rpm. The next time that I took it out it would top out at approx 45mph @4800-4900rpm. I changed the prop and gained nothing. I am running a 21pitch 3 blade SS which has just been re-hubbed. Also at WOT it now begins to surge. I pulled the carbs, cleaned and reset the float levels and also blew out all of the orifices with air. I also pulled the fuel pump and filter, both were clean. the diaphragm seems to be intact and plyable. I changed the spark plugs, checked the idle and timing which were spot on. The only obvious "situation" that i can find is the stator wiring. Most of the wires coming from the stator are in terrible shape. The insulation is dry rotted and just cracks and falls away when touched. The wires are green from corrosion. The wires from the idle stabilizer are in the same shape. The trigger wiring is in good shape. I thought that the stator might be the culprit but as i have stated, the motor seems to run too smooth. I have yet to do a compression test or check the rectifier. If it helps, the carbs are wh-12 and were rebuilt 15 months ago, and the stator is a 9 amp unit. PLEASE HELP ME, I AM TOO POOR TO THROW MONEY AT THE PARTS MONSTER!!!!!

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: 1980 Merc V150 power surge and low rpm at WOT

get a manual and test things

glastron1980

Recruit

Still testing, compression O.K.,
Question. If the stator is breaking down, is it possible for the engine to appear to run smooth, at low to mid-range, but at wot (full load), start losing power and surging?

j_martin

Admiral

Try disconnecting the idle stabilizer. The engine will run fine without it, and often they cause mysterious problems.

I'd replace the stator unless you like to row.

hope it helps
John

glastron1980

Recruit

thanks, I will give it a try and get back to you with the results.