Is this bad?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is this bad?

So the worst thing that will happen after the hose has been reconnected is some exhaust witt blow out through that hole too along with , out the prop too.???? I am learning too from every ones help on this site ::eek::confused::D 180SHABAH has helped me quite a bit too..PAT

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bruce....do you suppose the tilt cylinders weren't holding pressure and they used something as you said to hold the drive up and it broke the casting and pushed the exhaust bellows off as it sank? The scrape marks on the exhaust tube look pretty nasty.

That is a possible explanation...

...please note my signature below!

jhamner

Cadet

Does this really matter if it has the "Through the hull" exhaust? I have heard a few different names for the exhaust. Silent choice, captains call, ...etc. It has Corsa on the chrome tubes in the engine bay. Whatever its called, it seems like the exhaust from the lower unit is pretty much non existent anyway. Well, at least whenever the Thunder is turned on :) . I'll see if the seller will knock some money off the asking price to get this fixed. I thought it was going to be much worse. I was terrified when I saw the price for a rebuilt lower unit. I can assure you that the tilt cylinders are holding pressure. But that doesn't mean that someone propped the lower unit up while working on it or something. I have to agree that it does look like it was a pretty harsh bump to do that kind of damage.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

GOOD LUCK BUDDY, Be sure to let us know how everything went, you know where to come to get all your answers(Great Forum isn't it):D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you have the Corsa Captains Call exhaust, there should be a switch on the dash that allows you to select which way the exhaust goes.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

Personal I would get some JB weld epoxy putty and modle over the hole. Iv seen that stuff hold a compression chamber on the side of a block befor. You can get it waterproof too at Advanced Auto Parts....as a matter of fact i used it on my exhuast manifolds from the OEM motor that froze to death there is a 6 inch split down the side of them and its Cast iron (non-weldable) and the JB does the job.

For what it is worth I don't think that hole matters. There is water on both sides of the housing at that point. I just cracked mine in the same spot trying to remove the hinge pings. I should have put a piece of wood or rubber between the two to distribute the pressure better when I removed the starboard hinge pin. Mine was just a stress crack and I used the JB Weld. It should be fine.

jhamner

Cadet

Thanks for all the responses. You guys are great! I think I'll go ahead and buy the boat. It seems like a pretty good deal even with the hole in the bell housing. I'll get some pics of it whenever we get it and I'll post them in this thread. Thanks again!