To wax or not to wax

bottomfeeler

Cadet
Does applying wax to the hull of a boat reduce top speed? Iv'e read that applying wax and polishing it off increases surface tension of the water that comes into contact with it. Seems like that would create more friction.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: To wax or not to wax

Wax half the hood of your car and pour water on the entire hood. See which half runs off the fastest.
I have always waxed the hull. It also slows any marine growth on the hull. Not as effective as anti foul paint though

studlymandingo

Commander

The theory goes that the slicker the surface, the more suction it will have. I don't know about the wax per se, but I do know that I can get more speed out of my boat when there is some chop as opposed to when it is glass smooth.​

micel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a friend with a 19' hydrosport skiff and a 200 yamaha w/hydrotek set up.He gains 2-3 mph by gps by using teflon wax.The boat does 78mph!!! I'II never ride with him again.

dhertel

Recruit

I was told that it is a waste of time waxing the hull. They said that the fast speeds wear the wax off in a hurry.

Ryan00TJ

Cadet

Waxing the hull does nothing for performance. This topic has been covered for years in Powerboat magazine.

cpbrocke

Cadet

Engineer here, the reason why your boat goes faster in chop over glass is due to turbulence. This is the same reason why golf balls have dimples in them. The dimples break up the flow of the fluid around them which reduces their drag, which makes them go farther. With a slight chop in the water, the amount of drag is reduced between the water and your smooth boat the same way it does with the golf ball in the smooth air. Less drag = more speed.

Just bought my first boat today. 15' Cobia bowrider. Time to rewire and see if she really floats like PO said she does.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Go ahead and wax your boat. Theoretically it would make you slower but you would never notice the difference.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can use wax but there is a polymer that is used on sailboats to reduce friction. It is costly and does not last more than a season.

I absolutey agree with the golf ball dimple comment. That creates turbulance and allows more speed.

Wax will keep your boat looking nice.

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it may not make your boat go faster but it will make it look better!