batt isolator on stator?

issachar

Cadet
Can you put a batt. isolator on an 92 merc 135 with a stator to charge your trolling batteries? Is this a bad idea?

ricksrster

Commander
Re: batt isolator on stator?

I did it.
Battery4.jpg

issachar

Cadet

You show an alternator on yours. Will it work the same with a stator setup?

Also, do you have to have the switch? I just want to use the excess charge on my trolling batteries.

ricksrster

Commander

The stator is the alt. Run the charge wire from the Rect/regulator 12v+. No you don't need the switch
2Batteries.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just be aware that, with an isolater, your batteries will not fully charge because of the voltage drop across the diode.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

On my outboard, the charging wire from the rectifier is connected to the battery cable inside the motor's cowling. In order to wire the isolator, you would need to disconnect the "charging" wire from the battery cable, route it out of the motor to the boat, connect it to the isolator and then to the batteries, right?

A better idea is to use a battery combiner. This would be connected between the two batteries, and is a relay tha tcloses to charge the secondary battery, when the primary is fully charged.

issachar

Cadet

I am obviously no expert, thus asking the question in the first place, but I think you could just wire the isolator right from the other battery. It would only allow charge from the running voltage at first to come to second battery, but I am just sharing my limited understanding

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

if the second battery was drawn down it would draw current from the first battery.