Leak through transom?? OMC Cobra

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a water leak coming from the bottom transom area on my OMC Cobra 2.3L, The shifter tube might be leaking from where it screws into the transom, but I really can't see down in there. The leak is pretty bad, I can visually see it leaking at a stand still, But can not really see the place it is coming from. Could it be my worn out ehaust bellow with a hole in it? What could it be?

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Leak through transom?? OMC Cobra

i had an 86 omc 4cly and it had a bad boot on the drive. leaked like mad..do you have a boot on drive. also the cause of my bad boot was bad stringers that made engine move and ripped my boot. i fiexed the floor myself and had a shop pull motor and remount engine,, but i dont have a clue if yours has that big omc boat
bob

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

On a Cobra you can run with NO exhaust bellow and it should not leak into the boat.
You either have a shift bellow,ujoint bellow leaking or the transom plate is leaking. Sometimes if the transom starts to rot it will start leaking. You need to pull that drive and check the ujoints for rust and water intrusion and bellows anyway.Check gear lube for signs of water and go from there.

Baylinercapri1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The drive was off last season to replace the lower shift cable, No water/rust was in the u-joint area, and it was leaking at that point. It might be the transom, but the boat still rides and performs great.