I dont wanna look like a jack*** at the ramp, NEED ADVICE!

Zim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im close to launching my 19' monterey here in the next week or so, and with all the stupid human trick stories floating around, I dont want to become someone's entertainment at the ramp. I've backed boats in, and retrieved them before, but it was only a 16' boat and I'd have to attach the winch every time and crank the boat onto the trailer. Well with the new one, I know Im able to power onto the trailer, but never having done that before, I need some pointers. How far do I put the trailer in the water, how do i know im lined up straight, etc etc.

Thanks for advice!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I dont wanna look like a jack*** at the ramp, NEED ADVICE!

take a weekday morning off, go to the ramp and practice. the best thing you can have are the guide ons to help. mine are set 1" wider on each side of the boat, get far enough back that at idle you site down the center of the boat. don't over steer. gentle does more than too much. deep of the trailer is an experiment. with different ramps, boats and trailers. you are better to winch the last couple of inches, rather than damaging the boat. i also the back 2 rollers on my trailer are 12" self centering rollers, which put the bow dead center, then i can straighten the stern.

uscboy

Seaman

Best quick tip...

Grab the bottom of your steering wheel, not the top.

That way whatever way you push your hand, the boat will go that way.

Good luck!

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've found that there is a very very wide range of how far you can put in the trailer. I have the centering rollers and put the one closest to the front of the trailer halfways in the water. However, I could back it in lots further if I wanted to.

Make sure you don't back it in so far that the boat floats over the top of the trailer.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

watch other people, I allways get the trailer as far in the water as I can, and very lightly power on, killing the power when boat just starts to get on trailer and drift the rest of the way. a couple of times doing this and you will be a pro. just remember a heavier boat will not let you winch it on. especialy if you have those carpet type bunkers, it does not slide very well

studlymandingo

Commander
Don't be the jackass

Don't be the jackass

There are two ramps in my neighborhood park. One is a great ramp, the other royally SUCKS!​

The one ramp sucks because of so many people powering the boats up on the trailer. Not having the trailer in the water enough and using too much thrust to get it on the boat. The prop force "digs up" the bottom below the concrete ramp and deposits the sediment behind the hole creating a hole with a mound of sand behind it. Due to the varying tides, the ramp has become eroded unevenly so it's a real PITA to get a boat straight on a trailer there. This ramp has become used almost exclusively for PWC now for that reason.​

I always use the docklines to get my boat to the trailer, then I winch it up into place. No production, boat is perfectly straight every time without exception.​

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Don't be the jackass

Re: Don't be the jackass

I know Im able to power onto the trailer, but never having done that before, I need some pointers.

Ayuh,..........

Here's your Advice,.......... Don't Do It.............;)

Studly has explained Why.......

The HotShot, Cool Bassboat Morons have Destroyed several launches around here......

In Reality,......There's Nothing Cool about it,......
They're just Too F--kin Lazy to ge out of the boat,+ Do It Right......... :(

You're worried about Looking like a Fool,..??..??.......
If you Try Power Loading at a launch I use,.........
Be prepared for a Verbal Attack,+ Crucification................ :mad:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I agree with Bondo.Dont do it!!! Wait until you are VERY comfortable doing it as most of us do.You will look like more of a Jackazz making a mistake powering up on a trailer.It can also be very dangerous,ESPECIALLY if you are not confident in what you are doing .Wait until you are a pro the old fashioned way.Then experiment a little.Charlie

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

not to start an argument. but there are several ways to power load. i do it this way, never above idle speed, with the trailer far enough in the water, that is can get most of the boat on the trailer, then finish winching up. as soon as the boat hits the trailer you kill the engine. i also trim up when loading as not to cause anymore wash that absolutely necessary.

sure i see people, in the BLING boats, get to the trailer then hammer the throttle. and usually afterwards i have a nice conversation with them, and causually mention the prop wash problem. the next time i see them they usually idle on. Oh!! i didn't realize that. then you mention the safe boating course, and the state certificate.

Please vote for my boat !

Please vote for my boat !

You friend are out of line.
We do not put up with spam on the boards.
Consider yourself banned.
Have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't help but disagree. Maybe it is because there are no tides around here? Where I'm from 99 out of 100 people power there boat on and I have never seen anything that would appear to be a power wash problem. These people also are not bass boat guys. Lund, crestliner, and ski boat guys. Not many bass boats around here.

Remember, there is a tradeoff between everything you decide in life. If people don't power there boats on it goes from a 15 minute wait to a 30-45 minute wait. I'm pretty sure a super majority of people would choose the 15 minute wait and a little bump in the water.

Aquaman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Please vote for my boat !

Re: Please vote for my boat !

Please vote for ?FLOATING THERAPY? as best boat name on ......

And this has what to do with the topic at hand?

I idle (1000 rpm or less) my 19' boat onto my roller trailer. If you have to "gun" it then you are not doing something right.

studlymandingo

Commander
Launch Time

Launch Time

Remember, there is a tradeoff between everything you decide in life. If people don't power there boats on it goes from a 15 minute wait to a 30-45 minute wait. I'm pretty sure a super majority of people would choose the 15 minute wait and a little bump in the water.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind seeing someone idle up on the trailer, this is usually when one guy goes to get the truck while the other idles on the trailer.​

I have to disagree with the time statement. I very frequently load and unload solo. I almost exclusively use line and winch to launch and retrieve; I can load my boat as fast or faster than someone idling up. Once I untie from the cleats, I give the boat a shove with my foot, then pull on the bow and stern ropes to line up with the trailer, then I toss the stern line aboard the boat, walk to the front of the trailer with the bow line and give her a gentle tug, when the bow is in reach I hook up the winch cable and reel her in, a matter of maybe 3 minutes from the time the trailer is in the water until I am pulling away from the ramp and out of the way to secure the boat. I've never heard one complaint that I was holding up the ramp.​

Being courteous of fellow boaters and the ramps where we launch is most important however you choose to launch and retrieve.​

Zim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Launch Time

Re: Launch Time

Well I took it out today with no problems... the lake is 8 feet above normal level, and the boat ramps were submerged, so i basically had to launch in a parking lot. I didn't do the power on method, I just did what i was used to and guided the boat onto the trailer and winched it the rest of the way. I was comfortable with that, and it went smoothly.

On another note, my 650 dollar project boat went on its first successful day at the lake today :)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Congrats Zim! Good job for the easy loading too...;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I retrieve like the studmeister does. Most of the time I am loaded and gone while the other guy is still "power loading" his boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...........

Idling up onto the bunks is Not Power Loading in My Book.............

Nosing on,+ Hammering it is Power Loading.........
And there's No Reason for it.......

As noted,.... I can solo launch,+ retrieve before most folks are even out of the truck stretching their legs............

I Push the boat Off,......
And only idle to trailer contact,...... Then winch On.......
'course with My extended neape,....... It's only a couple feet to the bowstop.........

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree with the most of this. I idle on to get her to "stick" a little with the trailer slightly higher than I intend to end up with. This insures that my bunks start out properly aligned with the strakes. Hanging a bunk on a strake can be really frustrating, especially if you don't notice until your in the wipe down lane. After the intial "stick" I shut her off and have my partner (wife, son, friend etc. No "life partners" here . . . :eek: ) gently back down a little as I winch her up to the stop. This saves the winch, winch strap, bunks and my lazy arse :D When alone, I "studly" it.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If you guys dig deep enough you will find that most ramps have a "no power loading rule".
Hardly ever enforced but usually there is a rule or law against it with fines attached.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always considered loading the boat with the engine power loading, no matter how little bit of throttle you use.

We might as well say experience allows you to load fast. I've seen both engine loaders and winch loaders take forever.