what type of towing hitch setup should i use

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have a chevy 1/2 ton rated to tow 8500 lbs the boat and trailer weigh in at 7300 lbs.Weight distribution with sway control or just sway control? The boat is 27 feet long on a daul axel trailer total length around 32 feet

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what type of towing hitch setup should i use

both and all the brakes you can put on that trailer. i would want a one ton to pull that thing. that size boat can whip the light tail end of that trunk around like dog shaking a toy.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The trailer does have brakes on all 4 wheels.The previous owner used a f150 to tow it from pa to delaware/maryland on the weekends

hoytultratec

Cadet

what tashasdaddy said just be real carefull and give yourself extra room to stop, u probably should just buy a 1 ton now.;)

friend of mine pulls a 27 ft sea ray with a 1 ton chevy duramax pulls it great but you can definetly tell its there. i couldnt imagine pulling his boat with my suburban 1500 4x4 i think the suspension would sag to much. mabey im a wuss i pull a 20ft boat .

you should be ok good luck

hoyt

tashasdaddy

i tow at 23' 4500lbs with a 1999 1500 Surburban, we don't get in a hurry. and don't pull out in front of a semi,

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i currentlt tow a around 4000lb boat with a astro van.I know the astro van won't pull the new boat. Knew that going into it.The 1500 truck i'm planning on getting has the heavier rear in it that's why it has a heavier tow rating. Would love to buy a new duramax 1 ton crew cab truck just don't have that kind've $$$$.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

First thing you want to do is replace the stock Chevy receiver. Numerous failures with that receiver.

Does your 7300# include fuel, water and gear on the boat? I would have to say that you are probably pushing it with a 1/2T truck. I would at least have a 3/4T for that load.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well being a gm tech i can say that 1/2 ton,3/4 and 1 ton trucks all use the same frame the only thing different are the axles and suspension.Certain 1500 were built with a 3/4 ton rear with a 6 bolt lug pattern.Worse case i also have to upgrade the rear leaf springs. I got time yet.The boat has a engine bearing knock so i'm in no need to tow it right now.total weight of boat and trailer dry is around 6800lbs.The guy we bought the boat from delivered it to my house with f150.He had a hitch on it that also connected to rod load bars from the hitch to the boat trailer.He says with that setup the boat tows nicely no swaying at all and with 4 massive 14 inch surge brakes on the trailer it stops nicely

tashasdaddy

just please maintain those trailer brakes. we like to keep our fellow iboaters around.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that's a MUST on any trailer...Like i said i have time yet.So i'm still looking yet.
Would love to get a daully that would probably be perfect for this boat

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

anyone have a link to which type of weight distributing hitch i should get?
All the ones i've seen are for trailers that are y-shaped this trailer has about a 5 foot steele channel before it splits into a Y

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The problem with weight distributing hitches is that they have a detrimental effect on the the surge brake operation. Although I haven't seen it first hand, there is an equilizing hitch that claims it can work with surge brakes.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/productinfo/compatibility.php

Another option is to go with an electric/hydraulic brake actuater and then you won't have the problem either. I have gone that route becuase you have more control of how much braking action is being applied to the trailer brakes as well as working with all types of equalizing hitches. The electric/hydraulic uintis are around $550 plus the cost of a break away battery and brake controller inside your truck($100).