Need parts for an OMC Military Outboard

calndrmn

Cadet
I have a 1982 OMC 40 hp military model AM-40A. I have a broken crankshaft. It broke off in open water just above the cams for the points so no other damage was done. I have owned this motor for awhile and spent a lot of time making it a Johnson, new paint, electric start, new decals, etc. I know it is a rare bird but I would like to find a new crank. I have a military shop manual and military parts numbers. There has to be old military parts somewhere. Anyone have any ideas where I might find a crank and gasket set??? Thanks for your help.

kynolan2183

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need parts for an OMC Military Outboard

I don't think that you can make it a Johnson because it aready is.
From what I have read the military version and the reg johnson difference is in the housing. The military version is able to be submerged to 40 feet and started again in less than 120 seconds. At least that was the Mil Standard when it was produced I think.

A guy that can help is www.maxrules.com or www.sea-way.com or
Look up DURAJET by action marine and give them a call.

I think that the parts are the same
Kyle

calndrmn

Cadet

Thanks Kyle. I didn't mean make it a Johnson other than cosmetic appearances. When I bought the motor it was painted olive drab. Even though OMC did not produce a civilian 40 hp in 1982 I found the colors and decals for the next year that they did and painted accordingly. No one but a purist knows the difference. I have had a marine mechanic tell me there are some differences in some internal parts and need to know if the crank is one of them. I just enjoy working on older things and would like to get this motor running again. I will check with the links you gave me.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Another military only feature might be lower than civilian compression ratio in order to run crappy fuel.
So it might have different pistons, rods and crank throw.
The civilian crank and military crank will most likely interchange except for maybe the stroke specs.

But just guessing.

kynolan2183

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think that those motors were made to run on JP7 or JP8 like they are now. I will contact some one in France for the specs if we still have them. I work for a division of ZODIAC boats. The new BRPs are made for JP7/8 per military specs. I guess they (military) got tired of needing 20 different fuels. Two fuels is it now.
You need to get with the guy from Action Marine.
I would think that the only difference in internal parts are going to be Saltwater style stuff (electronics or Magneto)

Kyle