'83 115hp evinrude fuel/air mix

mwolfey_ky

Cadet
I have a 1983 115hp Evinrude which sounds like it's running rich. I do not, however see an air/fuel mix adjustment screw like I see on other outboards I have played with. Am I missing something? I have cleaned the carbs but it seems to need this adjusted.

Thank you for any help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: '83 115hp evinrude fuel/air mix

"Seems like it's running rich"? How did you determine that? What did you do to clean the carbs. Jets are fixed, hence no adjustments. Therefore either the carbs are still dirty, you have bad fuel, you need a tune up, link&synch, plugs, compression check, and decarb, to mention just a few things.

mwolfey_ky

Cadet

I should have given more information, sorry. My mechanic is a good friend and cleaned the carbs for me. Motor runs great at full speed but will not idle very long. It has new fuel, plugs, timed and the compressions are all around 105. I don't know that it is running rich, but when the other outboards I have had sounded like this, we have adjusted the air mix to correct.

thank you,

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

We need a better description of exactly what the engine is doing, or not doing. Is it spitting back at idle, smoking excessively, etc.

mwolfey_ky

Cadet

It's not smoking excessively. It does seem to be "loading up" on fuel. When it starts to sputtering and about to die, I can give it rev it up and "blow it out". It will then idle for just a little while. Sorry my descriptions are not very good, I'm just using terms I've heard to describe these symptoms.

thank you.

mwolfey_ky

Cadet

More information. A mechanic friend set the timing for me(5 and 28). It now idles very fast and doesn't want to die when key turned off I even have to choke it to death occasionally. Also, when going from idle to full throttle in gear there is a pause before engine takes off. Does fine when I go to full throttle slowly.

thanks,