Aluminum boat quality question

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking for aluminum fishing boat and there is so many brands that I have hard time to decide ....
I noticed that some use .065" thickness and some .100" is this important factor in my decision ?

General guidance what to look for would be appreciated.
Lowe ? Legend ?.....

Thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Aluminum boat quality question

Aluminum costs money. Cheaper aluminum boats have less aluminum. .065 is lighter duty, .100 is heavier duty. For durability, go for thickness. If you want to flip it upside-down on a van, go for thinner.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the boat design, some manufacturers use a 2X hull design which consists of two layers of thinner aluminum instead of one sheet of thicker aluminum. Some double plate the front half of the boat, some plate the back half, some do the entire hull. So make sure you know what you are looking at when you read "hull thickness".

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Lowe is certainly better known in the US. But that doesn't automatically make it better quality. For aluminum boats I like to examine the keel construction where it turns upward at the bow. Some plates come together in that area. Look at the care with which these plates are shaped, trimmed, and joined. The results should be a tight looking fit. Sloppy does not get points for workmanship.

Kelly Cook