Volvo 5.7gi dp Questions

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
Anybody have a wiring diagram available for 1994 volvo 5.7GI DP setup - more specifically looking for the trim system.
I need to figure out two things - my gauge is inop(stuck at full up position)
and the drive is staying in the fully down position. When I trim all the way down I hear the motor going, when I trim up or even with trailer button I hear nothing and the drive doesn't move.
Minor inconveniences at this point but I would like to take the boat out with confidence - Oh ya, Morse mns-s control arm also.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appretiated - I'm going to the Marina on Wednesday late afternoon to hopefully narrow things down a bit.

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo 5.7gi dp Questions

I switched the two relays mounted by the trim res. and motor checking to see if one or the other is burnt - both work fine.
Took the handle apart on the control arm to jump the trim switch - down jumps fine, up does not do anything.
Just like before the motor only runs when lowering unit, not raising.
Any opinions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should have a couple of relays around the helm area that could be bad.
Do you have a digital trim gauge or analog?

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Don!

There are a couple relays(black-generic ones, not volvo stamped parts) bolted behind the dash area that go in series that I did remove and swap - same thing happened when I hit the trim switch.

Digital or analog - there is a Small Black box mounted behind the dash also for the height settings and whatnot - has a white wire that loops out of it. The gauge itself is just an indicator needle that moves up and down.
2 years ago when I bought the boat the trim gauge did not work and they replaced that black control box - now the gauge does not work again...

Any input would be great - thanks for your time!!

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

No luck yet, was told to try bypassing trim limit switch by a tech at the marina. Cant get the boat in for another week or so. I need to get the drive up to get boat to another facility to get it fixed.
I know bypassing is not a fix and it has been discussed here before - but on mercs, not volvo.
Any write ups or quick suggestions on bypassing the switch?

Thanks

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

If anybody wants to know - I followed the harness from the volvo relays off the trim pump to the transom and unplugged the three wire harness - drive raised and lowered.