Runs only in neutral 5.5 seahorse 1955

knifemaker

Cadet
Well I'm back for more help. Got the new impellar kit installed, did the tune up and it runs and that is the good news. Now when I idle it down and shift it into forward or reverse it immediately dies. Also, I noticed that it idles really low at about the start indicator on the tiller arm and when I take it lower to the shift position it idles too low and dies. When I do kick it in gear it almost seems as if the impellar is much too tight and the motor cant turn the shaft. I double checked the new impellar size and it looks like a correct fit. Any ideas on what the problem could be ?? I appreciate any ideas I can get. Paul

MK Brown

Recruit
Re: Runs only in neutral 5.5 seahorse 1955

What about a seized bearing in the lower unit?

knifemaker

Cadet

Well I hate to think of a seized bearing but I certainly guess that could be possible. Let me tell you this: when I get ahold of the prop I can turn it by hand however it is a little tite but not too bad. Also, I was able to turn the flywheel with it in gear when I was going back together with it. Paul

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

My bet is that the driveshaft is broken below the waterpump base plate/upper bearing assembly. That is a 2-piece driveshaft, with the lower section housing a shock absorbing spring assembly. They can break and when they do they expand upwards a bit, enough to bind the lower unit with a load on it, .ie in gear....
- Scott

knifemaker

Cadet

Ok, now for the big question -- how can I find out for certain that the problem exists below the impeller housing and what is the fix ?? Paul

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Paul,
First, you'll have to remove the lower unit, then the waterpump. Pull the base out and you should see right away if that is the issue. If the motor is running good, and for sure on two cylinders in neutral, then the only thing that could be causing the motor to stall as soon as you shift into gear is a binding in the lower unit. The broken lower driveshaft is usually the likely culprit...
- Scott

knifemaker

Cadet

ok, i'll take a look at it and see if i can determine whats going on with the lower drive shaft. thx paul

knifemaker

Cadet

Got the lower unit back apart and where the long shaft and short shaft meet is a housing with a large spring assembly in it and it looks to me like its broke in half. The housing is two parts and it looks like one half of it goes on the long shaft and the other half goes to the short shaft. Is this the part your calling a shock absorber ?? Also , it looks like there are an awful lot of seals and gaskets that go to the lower unit. I had just put new gear lube in before the test run when I found the problem and when I just drained the lower unit again it looked like off colored milk. Is it possible to get the shock absorber new or used ?? thx Paul

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The part number is 376073 listed as no longer available. The last price when it was available was $179.95 Try Laings http://www.laingsoutboards.com/ for a used one. Option # 2 is throw the heavy spring away and weld the two sections together. Then use a brass shear pin to protect the drive train.

knifemaker

Cadet

Thanks for all the good information concerning my problem old motor. The frustrations got too great so just got back from bass pro and I pick up my new 9.9 hp at 9am in the morning. The old relic johnson will sit on my sun porch to remind me of days past or end up on ebay. thx again, Paul

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

We should take a moment of silence for this one lost today, in the line of duty. May the bugle sound loud.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

FR, any idea if a later model normal driveshaft could be used instead?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hm-m-m-m. That's a good question. I dunno.

knifemaker

Cadet

Hey guys, I didnt say I'd be leaving the forum -- I just dont have the time to wait on parts and figure out the repairs. Plus, we have a resort on trout lake taneycomo reserved and have to have a good dependable fishing rig. I'll keep reading the forum on 5.5's and maybe run across a lower unti for sale. My brother is a welder by trade and we may try that approach on the spring. Paul