Lights for Skiing?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
One of these commercials that are on the right (not the boat cover one that keeps blinking at you) shows a boat towing a skier and it has a bow type bracket across the top with two round looking things. Are these lights......for skiing? In Texas it is against the law to ski after dark.

Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lights for Skiing?

those are those horrible wake boat boom box speakers, that ruin the tranquility of nature. i believe skiing at night is against the law in all states.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

curse the man who designed a boat to create the largest possible wake

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hate those boats. People down where my uncle's cabin is, where I use my boat, ski all day long with one of those right in front of everyone's places instead of out in the open water where their wake won't bother anyone.

tashasdaddy

they actually have bladders in the bilge to pump water in to make them heavier, and through a bigger wake. we're trying to keep the water out. there is a bench seat that looks like an inflatable, that you can put across the stern, and you fill it with water instead of air. it's a conversion kit.

salty87

Commander

actually, the newer models have tanks under the floor.

td- you might be referring to the fat seat. it's a blow-up loveseat, basically, that you fill with water. never tried one, they don't look too comfy.

i don't know why people put lights on their tower, waste of $$ imo.

tashasdaddy

the one i saw on line was to help convert you ski boat to a wake boat, that's what if was advertized as. had a hose fitting on it. just googled fat seat. similar, but the one i saw looked far more comfortable.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

That is correct they do have a tank under the floor, it gives a huge wake to get more air out of the wakeboard ......

Mark ... my mastercraft have lights on the front and speakers on the back of the "bullet" on the tower .... here we can ski after dark .... but I just have it to drive home safely from the boat house pub .......

IMG_6337.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

deejaycee_2000

Captain

the speakers are up there on the tower so the rider can hear it ....

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I HATE those obnoxious *****holes in those useless wake boats. 1000 watt speakers pointed at the idiot behind (heard 10 miles away on water, and I'm on PUGET SOUND!), and a wake that does nothing but make everyone else miserable and tear up the shoreline and beat peoples boats at a dock to death. Oh yeah, THEY DO HAVE SUPER LIGHTS too, AND it is illegal to be behind a boat on ANYTHING after sundown...they will be outlawed soon (hey, you are Responsible FOR YOUR WAKE in any state body of water)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Dee,

I like the idea of the lights up high as long as they are shielded from your eyes....gives you much better viewing, I'm sure....does on farm tractors anyway.

Had a friend with a Searay that had them mounted in the hull near the bow. Those worked great too and definitely didn't get in your eyes.

On the boom boom boxes...like to have a 1 on 1 chat with the person who invented those...the ones they put in cars too.

Absolutely agree on disturbing the tranquility....course if it's Sunday afternoon and everyone is lounging around the boat, beach and all, music for you and your guests doesn't bother me at all....but there always has to be some obnoxious sucker that thinks everyone wants him to serenade them, or wants to show off his ear damaging toy....ARGGGGGG

And then there is the sucker that drives his boat between you and the bank (where you are casting in an attempt to fish) with his radio (and engine) blaring and has the gall to wave at you like you were going to reciprocate.....yeah right....where's my shotgun.

Mark

deejaycee_2000

Captain

the lights work great, especially when fishing and having a big one on the line ...... i'm with you guys on the big wake, I have little boats too that get banged up when big boats come by, I never use the underfloor tank though as we get enough wake as it is ....... we don't use the sound system either, I go to my holiday house for a little peace and quiet ...... SCAATY .... I got the boat from my sponsors .... I wasn't gonna say no ....

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

And then there is the sucker that drives his boat between you and the bank (where you are casting in an attempt to fish) with his radio (and engine) blaring and has the gall to wave at you like you were going to reciprocate.....yeah right....where's my shotgun.

Mark

I see a market for fishing boat mounted torpedos :D

CATransplant

Admiral

Another reason I only fish on weekdays. In my little 12' tinnie, wakeboats are floating horrors. Besides, they seem eager to veer towards me and blast by my fishing location as closely as possible. What's the deal with that? I'm thinking about putting some sort of grab handles on the gunwales of my boat, just to have something to hold on to while the boat rocks violently.

Until then, I call the lake patrol on my cell phone and report the offender, complete with registration numbers. Nothing sweeter than seeing one of those hoodlums sitting in the water with the local patrol boat alongside.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I see a market for fishing boat mounted torpedos :D

I like to keep something like this hanging on the end of a musky rod, ready for quick deployment.

It has a really amazing effect on a skier or wakeboarder, when they see it shimmering in the sun as it glides through the air toward their head ! !

Attachments

• i110951sn01.jpg
    i110951sn01.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0

salty87

Commander

lots of animosity and stereotyping. i won't dare claim that all wakeboarders are courteous and i won't believe for a second that all fisherman are either.

it's just as much fun calling the po-po on some broke-azz fisherman in a john boat or some other moron on a jet ski when they screw up.

idiots aren't restricted to one type of boat.

flame on

Pony

Rear Admiral

lots of animosity and stereotyping. i won't dare claim that all wakeboarders are courteous and i won't believe for a second that all fisherman are either.

it's just as much fun calling the po-po on some broke-azz fisherman in a john boat or some other moron on a jet ski when they screw up.

flame on

That is true, but at the same token wether the guy in the wakeboard boat is courteous or not his boat is causing damage to shoreline etc. That has nothing to do with him being an idiot or not. In my opinion those boats should be restricted to lakes that can handle that sort of wake. Its a shame to see a big wakeboarding boat tear up the shore of a 400 sq acre lake, when he could go a few miles down to a larger lake more suitable to pleasure craft.

salty87

Commander

ah yes, you are responsible for your wake and the wake damages the shoreline.

first of all, shorelines are constantly in change. all wakes have an effect so if the shoreline is your concern, you're doing damage too. i won't comment on the small lake issue, if there are rules they should be followed.

being responsible for your wake is a pretty grey area too. wakes happen when there are boats. if you're on the water, there will be wakes. i've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for their wake unless they also blew thru a no wake or were too close to another boat.

i don't think any boater will gain anything from 1 style being banned or having special rules/restrictions on wake size. it will only be matter of time until your style of boating could be targeted.

what about 2 stroke smoke?
i've seen more fisherman litter the lake than i can remember.
waverunner, no need to say more.
where does it stop?...north shore vs south shore? your wake is bigger than mine? my brand is better than yours? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

CATransplant

Admiral

flame on

Absolutely right. I have no problem with wakeboarders, water-skiiers, jetskis or anyone else on the water, per se. The only time I have a problem is when any of those, or a fisherman, behaves in a way that endangers others.

When I'm fishing, I'm generally not out in the lake, but near the shoreline. I'm never in an area where ski boats or wake boats do what they do. I'm talking about, as is the other guy, folks who find it amusing to try to swamp the fisherman in his little boat. When they do that, I call the lake patrol. They're breaking the law and endangering me and the passenger on my boat (just one, since it's only a 12' boat).

We can all share the lake, but we have to be respectful of the others on the lake. That's common courtesy. It's also the law, since boating comes with some dangers.

I've mostly solved the problem by only fishing during the week, and haven't had to call the lake patrol for a long time.

salty87

Commander

When I'm fishing, I'm generally not out in the lake, but near the shoreline. I'm never in an area where ski boats or wake boats do what they do. I'm talking about, as is the other guy, folks who find it amusing to try to swamp the fisherman in his little boat. When they do that, I call the lake patrol. They're breaking the law and endangering me and the passenger on my boat (just one, since it's only a 12' boat).
i won't claim they were justified or had any right for getting too close to you or the shore. just fyi, most wakeboarders (all that i know) would rather not have go trolling by fisherman, it's the smooth water they (we) are after. along the shorelines is protected while out in the middle, the chop makes for painful wakeboarding. i, personally, try to be respectful of other boats in the area and you won't catch me doing any of that. i pretty much suck at wakeboarding and some chop won't bother me.

other side of the coin, why do fisherman always have to fish the butter (good water)?? (<-- joke)